Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

99' 4.6L Engine Cranking But Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' 4.6L Engine Cranking But Not Starting

My 99' 4.6L has close to 200k miles and has been a great truck ever since I've owned it. I've been having a problem lately where it'll crank over and not start. But if I turn the key to off and back on again a few times I can get it to start and once it's started have no problems. Now... it won't start no matter what I do. I've replaced relays, put new plugs and wires on it with no success. Could this be a failed fuel pump even though I never had a problem while the truck was running, just at start up? I also checked for fuel pressure while cranking and had none. Please help.

Thanks,
Robb
Old 10-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 5,590 Likes on 4,663 Posts

You answered your own question. Well almost, just do the math. Replace that pump. First make sure you have some pressure and it's not electrical. If you have 0 at key on, -hit the tank, then check the gauge. This way you can distinguish quickly IF the pump energizes.

Yea you don't have to crank it, just check it key on.

Last edited by Jbrew; 10-17-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Assuming its not the fuel pump . . . . as the truck gets older the transmission interlock gets loose. If this is the case, the vehicle will come on when they key is turned but it will not crank.

Move the tranny lever around a little bit. If its that - once you hit a good spot - or get it in neutral - it will then crank.

Obviously, if it cranks but does not start then I'm wrong.

Fuel / air / spark. In that order.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I put a whole new fuel pump module in over the weekend and haven’t had any problems getting it to start since. I had originally thought it was a bad pump but since I never had any issues once the truck was running I was hesitant to swap it out.