Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Power Steering leak

Have a question that someone may have encountered and can provide some insight.

I have 98 with the 5.4l Triton. Last week she developed a power steering leak. She's leaking from the power steering line connected to the bottom of the power steering pump that runs to the end of the steering column (leaking at the power steering pump end). I can actually see the metal part of the line moving back and forth when I grab ahold of the line and move it back and forth. It is a PITAWAS getting a wrench on that line, but I did manage to accomplish that and the the fitting seemed tight. I have a sneaky suspicion that the power steering line may be damaged inside/behind the fluid line bolt.

My question(s):
1. Is there some type of seal that has basically disintegrated on the back side of that fitting, or it some type of a compression based fitting?
2. How do you get to that doggone fitting to tighten it? Remove the pulley from the front? Remove the whole dogged power steering pump? If I remove the pulley, should I replace it (repair manual says it can only be removed two times, and since who knows who had this truck before me who knows if they marked the pulley when/if they removed it)?

Any suggestions/help are appreciated. Trying to get my thoughts together before I tackle this (I have two other "dead" vehicles sitting in the driveway, the auto parts store is loving me).
Old 03-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Any answers on this topic? I have a noisy steering line myself right now. I was looking for a youtube video on replacing the power steering pump on a 2000 F150, 4.6L engine, but didn't find one. I have a 5.4L engine also, are the parts interchangable between the two? as in alternator, starter, power steering pump?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I assume you mean the high pressure line is leaking. Yes there is a replaceable seal (white teflon), mine came with my new power steering pump. I would just replace the whole pump and pulley, since it is most likely original and not expensive.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think my pump is making the noise. Very noisy when I first start the truck, and then if I move the steering wheel back and forth, the noise slowly goes away. I have fluid on top of the reservoir coming out. My fluid level is ok, but why is it on TOP of the darn reservoir??

Quick Reply: 98 Power Steering leak