Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 f150 4wd Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 f150 4wd Issue

Hey guys, my 98 f150 is having strange 4x4 issues. When i switch the ESOF to 4 hi or 4 lo, the light on the dash does not come on nor did the transfer case engage. After messing with it for a few days, today, i switched to 4 lo while in neutral, and 4 lo engaged, but still no light on the dash. NOW i can not get the truck to come out of 4 lo. I checked vacuum lines and they all look good, i did not do a pressure test but a visual check. If it were a vacuum related issue, the light in the dash should still come on right? Please give me an idea where to get started!! Thanks!

PS. All fuses are working correctly. I know some of these issues have been talked about before, but doing a search brought up so much different information, i didn't know where to start!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 AM

I went under the truck and disconnected both vacuum lines from the transfer case, only one vacuum line had suction and it always had suction regardless of what position my 4wd switch was in. Also, when i started the truck with the vacuum lines disconnected, the 4 hi light came on in the dash. This also stayed on regardless of what position the switch was in.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 PM

I pulled the shift motor from the transfer care and verified that it does NOT move when moving the 4x4 switch. Should i be able to freely move the mechanism inside the motor, because i can not, even with a great deal of force, i cannot move it. The shaft on my transfer case still moves, so i'm saying that's good.

How would i go about testing for power at the plug that connects to the transfer case shift motor? I have a multimeter ready, just don't really know which pins to test. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 98 f150 4wd Issue