Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 F150 4.6 auto; engine dies at stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 F150 4.6 auto; engine dies at stop

After a half hour road trip when I come to a stop the engine just stops while in drive. Then it will crank but won't fire. I traded 2 of the relays around and it started. This happened several times. Yesterday I bought 2 new bosch relays and replaced them. It died again when I stopped on the way home.
It always starts after playing with the relays.
I am thinking it is the fuel pump overheating. Any ideas or experiences like this?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:09 PM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Muffler bearings! Seriously though I just went through that with my Hyundai. Not a fun thing and good luck not getting plowed into if you're in the road. In my case after tearing half the car apart it turned out to be the pcm relay.

It was one of the first things I checked but it was intermittent. It, like some (most?) relays has a diode in it and diodes can start acting squirrely. A part the size of an ant took me out and cost me a months work. I know better now though. Learned a LOT.

You can jumper the connection the relay performs to the pcm fuses with a heavy gauge wire temporarily. I'd pop it out if I stopped the engine since engine electrics would still be energized.

Cheap fix if that's your problem.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:15 PM

It is the ECC relay that I trade for the horn relay. So I am thinking all I have been doing is resetting the ecc. The horn still works, so the relay is not the problem. The check engine light is not coming on so.... (I don't have a code reader anyway)
So something is sending a message to the ECC to shut down engine after long drive.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by RangoWA
Muffler bearings! Seriously though I just went through that with my Hyundai. Not a fun thing and good luck not getting plowed into if you're in the road. In my case after tearing half the car apart it turned out to be the pcm relay.

It was one of the first things I checked but it was intermittent. It, like some (most?) relays has a diode in it and diodes can start acting squirrely. A part the size of an ant took me out and cost me a months work. I know better now though. Learned a LOT.

You can jumper the connection the relay performs to the pcm fuses with a heavy gauge wire temporarily. I'd pop it out if I stopped the engine since engine electrics would still be energized.

Cheap fix if that's your problem.
The muffler bearings are fine. I replaced them last year!!!!

I put in a brand new relay for horn and ECC. The diode for the PCM is separate from the relay. I will research this. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

Originally Posted by BillHolden
I put in a brand new relay for horn and ECC. The diode for the PCM is separate from the relay. I will research this. Thanks!
I forgot that about the Ford, saw that when I decided to bone up on the parts and locations just in case. I believe it's next to the A/C relay. Maybe it can be reversed (it's pointing the opposite direction) and swapped?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM

RangoWa
You said"Maybe it can be reversed (it's pointing the opposite direction) and swapped?" What do you mean?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

RangoWa
You said"Maybe it can be reversed (it's pointing the opposite direction) and swapped?" What do you mean?
The diode holders have arrows on them (depictions of the symbol) which is the direction of current flow. On mine the two are pointing in opposite directions, being next to each other, towards or away from each other, I don't recall off hand. But I imagine they could be swapped, just be careful to keep the orientation the same.

The way I understand the diode in a relay is to instantly shut down the magnetic field of the coil. Without the diode the field can continue momentarily and sensitive equipment doesn't like that. So the diode kills the field right when you kill the engine. A flaky diode can shut down the electromagnet any time, which opens your contacts, to the pcm in this case, which shuts down the pcm, which shuts down the fuel pump, ignition system and everything else the computer controls. When mine went out I had no CEL lit up on the dash, so I know what to look for now. I assume the Ford is similar.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

After a half hour road trip when I come to a stop the engine just stops while in drive. Then it will crank but won't fire. I traded 2 of the relays around and it started. This happened several times. Yesterday I bought 2 new bosch relays and replaced them. It died again when I stopped on the way home.
It always starts after playing with the relays.
I am thinking it is the fuel pump overheating. Any ideas or experiences like this?
I can tell you for sure they do that when the trans is low on fluid.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
I can tell you for sure they do that when the trans is low on fluid.
Tranny is up
Old 05-26-2017, 01:15 PM

It only died once since I put bosch relays in so i think we got it. I was told that the computer takes time to recognize new parts. Here's hoping. Thanks for all the help!