Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

'98 Expedition newly acquired, got questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '98 Expedition newly acquired, got questions

I just got a 1998 Expedition XLT 4x4 with 176K on it to go alongside my '98 F-150. I dunno if this is the right place to ask questions about it, but here goes.

The Expedition whines on acceleration. I think it's coming from the torque converter. There are zero driveability issues at all... the TC and tranny never slip, and very rarely it might shudder or lurch when I floor the gas at highway speed. It accelerates from zero smoothly and with a kind of confidence to it.
I've read several different opinions on whether or not to change the torque converter just because it whines. Mine isn't loud, just noticeable. I didn't think anything of it when I got the truck.

I've driven a stick for the last 14 years, so I'm kinda new to the idea of automatic shifting and the stuff that goes wrong with it. Sometimes I still try to push the clutch before I turn the key!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't know about the whine but the shudder you're talking about is most likely a coil pack
Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Does it always do it or just at certain speeds? Does it stop when it locks up?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It whines above 15 or 20 MPH. It doesn't seem to be contained to one particular gear. I've heard it in all four forward gears, but it definitely stops before the torque clutch locks up. If I'm not accelerating much, I can't hear the whine. I think when the TC locks or unlocks, the tach changes by about 400 RPM. If the tach goes up by that 400, there's no audible whine, but if I stomp on the pedal, I can hear the whine.
I ran all over creation in it this evening. With the windows up, I had to listen closely to even hear it whine at all.

@jferg: My engine is a 4.6, and I think it's the Romeo variant. I see where each bank's plug wires connect, but I haven't looked yet to see if the things they're connected to are coil packs or distributors. I thought the 4.6 would have a coil pack like my 4.2 does in the F-150. They appear to be very easy to replace either way.

I'm thinking that replacing the torque converter is roughly 5 hours of labor for the mechanic. My mechanic has no problem installing new parts that I provide, but she won't warranty them. I'm cool with that. Total cost for a replacement is steep at $700 total, so I want to be absolutely certain it's required before I have it done.

I didn't pay a whole lot for the truck ($2250), so I'm not sure if it's cost effective to do too many major repairs. I've got $200 in repairs into it now, and will need to spend $450 to get the A/C going, then at least $200 on a front bumper.

Quick Reply: '98 Expedition newly acquired, got questions