Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97 F150 4.6 Oil Leak coming from right under the Filter. Need suggestions. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 F150 4.6 Oil Leak coming from right under the Filter. Need suggestions. Thanks

Hey guys I am new here. I have my dad's old F150 and its leaking heavily when the engine is one. Right below the filter there is a part that faces down towards the ground. It has a threaded insert that you can fit an allen wrench in. I tried cleaning the around it the best I could to locate the leak. When I have the engine on it seems to be coming out through that screw or plug. Im not much of a car/engine guy so not sure what it is called.

Anyway I tried to tighten it down and even loosen it but I could not get it to budge. I was cuirous first what this is and also what should I do about it? Its part of the assembly for the oil filter just not sure if I have to replace the whole thing or if there is an easy fix.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Zalesky
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So its just leaking out from the top of the oil filter? And its to tight? Sound like it was taken to a shop to get changed and they left the old gasket on as well as the new one from the filter
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM

No its located below the oil filter itself. Its a stem that sticks downward but is still part of the oil filter assembly. I will try and take a picture so show you guys what I am talking about.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Here is a picture. The location right below the filter that sticks downward and is threaded is where I noticed it leaking while the engine is turned on. Any idea what it is and why it would leak really bad? Sorry have to use the link to my album here since I could not figure out how to post pictures.

Thanks,
Jason

https://www.f150forum.com/members/jz...47113-oil-leak
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM

It looks like its the gasket on the oil cooler,oil filter adaptor. Mine was leaking when I first got my truck. Replaced it my self took about a hour. Wasn't to hard .
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 PM

I don't see the hose from the radiator going into yours. Might even be easier to do then mine without that. Looks like there 2 gaskets behind yours
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Robd
I don't see the hose from the radiator going into yours. Might even be easier to do then mine without that. Looks like there 2 gaskets behind yours
Cool thanks. After messing around more with it I think your right. I think its seeping down. So it was not to messy to do it yourself? I dont have any lift equipment would that be required?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM

The same thing happened on my 5.4 a few months ago. Get up there really good and check for cracks, let me know of you find anything. Mine was cracked where the sensor goes in and I had to replace the whole part
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by jzalesky
Cool thanks. After messing around more with it I think your right. I think its seeping down. So it was not to messy to do it yourself? I dont have any lift equipment would that be required?
No lift equipment required. Yes check it for cracks before you do it. That would suck to do the work then find that it has a crack.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 4.6 Oil Leak coming from right under the Filter. Need suggestions. Thanks