Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5.4 Intake Coolant Crossover Bung thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Default 5.4 Intake Coolant Crossover Bung thread

On the Intake manifold, Does anyone know the Thread pitch of the bung hole on the coolant crossover? I'm curious if I can move my aftermarket Temperature senor there. I changed my T-stat yesterday while trying to fix my fan controller issues but didn't see the Bung & plug until after I filled it all back up, lol. Now I don't want to take it apart to see if it fits.

I think 12x1.5 and 3/8npt are the two sensors I have available to use.

Not my truck
v

Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Askholed apparently...damn! lol.

Last edited by Jbrew; 11-11-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 AM

Nope, not yet. I'm trying to figure out a better way to mount a sensor closer and haven't come up with a solution yet. I still have mine inline with the upper radiator hose which seems to get Ok temps but I have to use a 1 3/4 hose adapter with a 1/4npt bung into a 3/8's fitting that the sensor screws into. This has worked for the last year but the temps are far off form actual water temps and I suspect it's because of the convoluted plumbing. Comparing OBD CHT's with Laser Temp reading at the T-Stat housing, Radiator and Upper radiator hose coupler are all wildly different.

Now being different doesn't matter as much as making sure that it's warming and cooling consistent but I'd really like to close the gap a bit of variances while I'm tearing the cooling system apart. The system is in a way too efficient with the fans pulling 2800cfm and the over sized Dual core Radiator. The truck can sit idle for easily 45 minutes without the seeing over 198 degree based on CHT. CHT's are usually a measured a bit high to actual water temps so it has me looking for a new location for the controller sensor. As of right now, the fans still aren't even turning on.

I was wondering why the fans stopped coming on after the fan install and that's when I started finding the variances along with a Bad controller.

I didn't want to reply until I had an answer since it just clutters everything up. I highly doubt many people here have gone this route and it's why it was so hard to decide on these mods in the first place a few years back. Thanks for your first reply though it was a bit of help although I'm not sure why you'd edit it out, lol.

195* Tstat
Old 11-14-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 6,482 Likes on 4,618 Posts

Following.... My plan for an electric fan has been to use one of these Glowshift T's in the upper rad hose. I've wondered how accurate it would be. Sounds like you're saying it's not?

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/46mm...se-attachment/
Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM

If it fits your sensor without an adapter it might be a bit closer to regular temps. That adapter was on back ordered for months when I was doing this to mine. If you go this route just make sure you account for temp to be actually higher than it reads or switches on at with your controller.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to use the Intake cross over for my sensor unless I drill and tap it to 3/8 npt and I'm not ready to do that just yet.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 6,482 Likes on 4,618 Posts

It doesn't. I am going to have to drill and tap it to M14 X 1.5 for the BMW sensor!

Quick Reply: 5.4 Intake Coolant Crossover Bung thread