Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4r70w pros n cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4r70w pros n cons

Just wanna know pros n cons of the tranny 4R70W, only because im haveing shifting problems, i have a 4.6 V8 98 f150 2wd. Some days it wants to shift like a normal truck, other days it takes its time to shift outta first, from start to go ya know. Dont know if its fuel injectors or camshaft placement sensor, a leak (air) in a hose or what. I think the transmissions bad but at the same time i dont cuz how it acts. Just replacing the transmission is the last thing i wanna replace, i changed the transmission fluid and the gasket was very old and the filter was in the pan with the fluids for god knkws how long and the magnet was caked in metal shavings. Just saying lol lmk what yall think, also, dont forget i still wanna know the pros n cons of the transmission on the side. Thanks guys! Im mildly, mechanicly inclined lol so bear with me yah?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 PM
mbb

Received 921 Likes on 751 Posts

Well the pro is it came with your truck and it matches your engine.
the con is it's not the heaviest duty transmission out there if you're going to be towing a bunch.
But it is adequate for your engine.

Bunch of metal shavings doesn't sound good.
The gaskets are lifetime gaskets on the pan.

Cared for it's a good transmission.
neglected it's still pretty good but it'll die in earlier death then it would have gone to if someone that cared for it.

filter probably came off when you drop the pan

If there was no yellow plastic plug in there at least it got changed once in its life
Up u
There are some fairly common simple problems with broken springs, etc in the valve body that are easily fixable.

One of the tranny experts may be able to comment on your particular problem. But yeah if you need to buy a used transmission it's not too bad. if you want to get one that's been modded a little bit for... It's a little more. It all depends on the overall condition of your truck and engine if you want to put that kind of money into it.

Last edited by mbb; 10-21-2019 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MaloMartinez72 (10-22-2019)

Quick Reply: 4r70w pros n cons