Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.6 running rough below 1k, running rich. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 running rough below 1k, running rich. Need help.

I have a 2003 f150 4x4 with a 4.6 auto with 156k on the odometer. I got the truck a couple weeks ago and prior to me owning it, it sat for about 2 years. It started out with a miss so, I changed out all the spark plugs and put fresh 93 octane in it with Lucas injector cleaner and also ran seafoam. Seemed to help a little bit but still missing. Drove the truck about 10 miles and it started running on 7 cylinders. I drove it until it threw a code for misfire in cylinder 2. Changed the coil pack and it ran fine. Next day I drove it to work, started running on 7 cylinders again. Misfire in cylinder 1. Changed that coil and it ran fine. Drove home from work yesterday and upon startup I could smell it was running rich and it ran rough at idle and died at a stoplight. It threw a couple codes for bank 1 and bank 2 running lean and for the o2 sensors. I checked for vacuum leaks with a propane tank and found nothing. Found out the egr tube was welded where it connects to the exhaust manifold. I can hear its leaking so I plan on trying to repair it temporarily tomorrow with exhaust putty and bandage. I was just curious if this could be my problem or if there is something else wrong, eg. Temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator etc... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 4.6 running rough below 1k, running rich. Need help.