Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.2 V6 engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 V6 engine trouble

I am currently having trouble with my 97 Ford F-150 4.2L V6. I recently got this truck because my 08 Chevy HHR engine blew 5,000 miles after my warranty expired. I recently lost my job due to plant closure and decided to head back to school. So after the HHR blew, my Dad went and bought me the 97 Ford to drive back and forth instead of the 79 Chevy I was driving. Anyways, its been a really good truck so far. I had a check engine light on ever since we got it. Last week we just changed the plugs and wires because it was acting a little sluggish. Then I started experiencing the following: at start up its strong then after initial idle down it starts stumbling, put it in gear with brake on and it still stumbles, as soon as accelerate its smooth, then when slowing to stop at a red light it starts to stumble again. I've read and read all the Ford forums and it seems it may be the pcv elbow. I went out a looked a few minutes ago and its a bugger to get too. I started and listened but really couldn't hear any thing. When driving down the road it does sound like it's sorta hissing. After I turned it off, with the hood up, I heard what sounded like hissing sorta gas releasing sound coming from that area. So I'm pretty sure it's something to do with this elbow. My next question, and please bear with me. I'm not very mechanically inclined. My brother inherited that gene. I also need to replace this hose. I'm not sure what it is called, that is the reason I'm asking. I placed red arrows at it. It's just crumbling. It goes from this grey thingy attached to the firewall to somewhere under the 4.2 black cap. Again, I'm not very mechanical, but my Dad and brother are so they will help me out. Thanks in advance!

Waylon
Attached Thumbnails 4.2 V6 engine trouble-photo.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Getting the codes read will help a lot in diagnosing the problem. That's why they're there. You can do it at any auto parts store for free
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Yeah I plan on doing that too. I know the elbow and the hose in the picture has to be replaced as well. Being on unemployment you have to budget everything down to the penny! So I'm trying to see what this hose is called so I can look it up and budget for it next week or so.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think its a fuel vapor return line or something like that could be wrong
Old 11-01-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks man!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM

take the black piece off that says 4.2 and take the truck to an auto parts store the should be able to tell you without a doubt. or just post a pic.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM

The PCV elbow is at the rear of the Passenger side valve cover, and passes to a "T" which goes into a multi-hose mounting on the rear of the intake, then continues to the driver's valve cover. The only place to but this rig is Ford, but you could make one up from fuel line, a "T", a PCV valve and a Ford Grommet (and essential part, whichever route you go).

Its a real treat to get to,as the firewall is indented, and its all blind touchy-feely, so I let my trusted independent shop do it.

My codes were p0171, p0174 (left and right banks lean). The hose/valve/grommet cleared them up.

Last edited by Swifty; 11-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.2 V6 engine trouble