Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.2 problems

Old 09-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4.2 problems

i have a 1999 4.2 with 211k miles, 2wd and auto tranny, yesterday on the freeway it downshifted and i felt a big clunk and it shifted like this 3 total times, i don't know what caused this or what it means, never had any problems with the tranny before,
another thing is sometimes it takes a bit longer to start and then it idles poorly but goes back to normal, i have sea foamed the intake, cleaned the mass air flow and idle air control, and that fixed the problem for about 2 weeks, dont know what t do about that either.
any help is appreciated
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs757
i have a 1999 4.2 with 211k miles, 2wd and auto tranny, yesterday on the freeway it downshifted and i felt a big clunk and it shifted like this 3 total times, i don't know what caused this or what it means, never had any problems with the tranny before,
another thing is sometimes it takes a bit longer to start and then it idles poorly but goes back to normal, i have sea foamed the intake, cleaned the mass air flow and idle air control, and that fixed the problem for about 2 weeks, dont know what t do about that either.
any help is appreciated
I'm not a transmission guy, so I'm no help there...

As far as the the idle: When's the last time you checked your fuel delivery? I had some similar issues and I ended up replacing fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and my baby ran a whole lot better and I didn't have any stalling issues.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 4.2 problems

Originally Posted by mjs757
any help is appreciated
Check your tranny fluid. If it smells burnt get it flushed. If it doesn't unhook your batterie for a bit. The first couple times after it might shift hard but after it re-learns it will clear up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.2 problems