Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 Reverse Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Default 2003 Reverse Issue

Hey guys, been reading f150 forum for a while and found a lot of helpful articles here so I decided to join to see if someone can help me with my newest issue. I drive a 2003 screw cab f150 3" body lift and 33s. When I put the truck in reverse, turn the wheel to the left and start to back up it sounds like one of the tires is rubbing. Only happens when I back up and only when the wheel is turned to the left. At first I thought the noise was coming from some tire weights that were sliding off the rim possible rubbing on the frame or the wheel well but 2 weeks ago had the tires rotated and new weights put on, still have the rubbing issue when I'm backing up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts

Are you sure its not the rear wheel bearings?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by charliedyal
Are you sure its not the rear wheel bearings?
not sure, how would I diagnose if it is the bearings?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:15 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Probably wheel bearings in the front! Jack the truck up and check the wheel/rotors for up/down play.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM

So I check my front bearings and no movement at all, changed the rear brakes (was time for a new set) and checked those, no movement either. I'm also noticing when I put the truck in reverse it starts to shake and when I hit a bump , like a driveway curb it shakes and rubs pretty bad too... Any other thoughts? I've heard of problems with the 97-03 rear ends... Just hoping this doesn't turn out to be an expensive problem.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 PM
TruckMaster

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
So I check my front bearings and no movement at all, changed the rear brakes (was time for a new set) and checked those, no movement either. I'm also noticing when I put the truck in reverse it starts to shake and when I hit a bump , like a driveway curb it shakes and rubs pretty bad too... Any other thoughts? I've heard of problems with the 97-03 rear ends... Just hoping this doesn't turn out to be an expensive problem.
When you had it up, did you check the front tires from side to side for tie rod play? also if you take a pry bar and check the ball joints? to do that you put the pry bar inbetween the lower ball joint and the cv axle, and wiggle it down. and feel around the ball joint and the bottom of the spindle. i know i had that problem before too, but it was just my driver side wheel bearing!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Have you looked at your transmission mount? Is the rubber separated or split? Push up on the tranny tail housing and see if it moves. Also, u-joints, axle u-bolts, spring shackles... Any noise coming from the rear end going down the road? There are not many issues associated with the axle itself. Either the 8.8 or 9.75 are sturdy axles. Make sure there's no play in the pinion yoke and you haven't leaked all gear oil out of the axle. Tires rubbing? Have enough clearance? Is the axle shifting when you hit a bump in reverse? Also, are the front or rear tires rubbing, please clarify? Get back to us once you've checked all this. It shouldn't be an expensive problem. You just need to narrow it down.

Last edited by charliedyal; 04-22-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Also, on a side note. I had a severe thud under hard acceleration and tranny fluid leaking. Turned out to be loose bolts on the tranny tail shaft housing. Also make sure your transfer case is nice and tight. Might as well check everything drive line related while your under there.

Quick Reply: 2003 Reverse Issue