Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 F150 Collision Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Default 2003 F150 Collision Repair

Hey guys, I got into an accident last week and have ordered all new front end parts. My issue is that I don't have much back ground in painting.

I was able to straighten my mounts out and got it halfway decent until the new parts go on.

I picked up a new grille surround and bumper pad that are both unpainted.

What steps do I need to take to spray them at home and look halfway decent? Thanks for the input ahead of time guys.

Last edited by jprevat; 10-17-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

I'm no professional, and I know just enough to be dangerous. First, I suggest you go to an AUTO paint store, and get auto paint only. They can either make it to your paint code, or if you have a good shop, they can mix it by eye. I've got a guy here in SLC that can mix anything by eye. A decent auto body shop will also be able to put it in a spray can for you, eliminating the need for a paint gun. The best paint I've found to work with is PPG and Metalux.

Obviously you're going to want to scuff it a bit then primer it. A scotch brite pad is good enough for this. Then the big choice is, do you want a one step (acrylic enamel) or base/clear? For what you're doing..... if it were mine, I'd go acrylic enamel. If you do want to do clear, they sell that by the can as well. It will have have an activator you push into the bottom of the can..... then it needs to be used within 24 hours.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:05 PM

Did your header panel break? The headlights look a little tweaked.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Are you painting just the grill shroud? Or are you going to color match the rest?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

JP- most auto parts places that sell body shop paint have a hand held paint color analyzer. You can have a quart of base coat mixed to better match your truck ( fade, age, weathering, etc,) - same with the bumper topper-
If there is no other damage, i would wet sand and prime the new parts, cut in the color on the new surround and the pad ,( backside, inside,etc.,) then paint the outside and let it dry well. Clear coat and let it dry-
Reassemble,adjust the fits as needed, maybe touch up any chips around the hood edge and fender edges if needed ( my self, i would do this with a model paint brush, but thats me)
Oh if you dont have a paint gun,or regulator, you can usually find a inexpensive one on line.
If your not that picky- go to autozone, get a couple of the auto match spray cans and clear coat, and follow the same above steps ( i used it on the water channels on the roof of mine,( mostly because no one could see it!), and it did ok- )- if you break the color line at the fender/header seam, most of the time it wont be as noticeable if the colors dont match as well.
Or.... you could replace all the damaged parts, mask off everything around it, sand, prime, paint, clear and go with it!
Its just how much you want to do, and how much time you want to spend.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 PM

KD, I'm just painting the surround and the bumper pad.

White, I don't believe I broke the header panel and I'm pretty sure it looks that way because everything else is out of whack.

I would much rather do a single stage paint so acrylic it is. I'm assuming when you say auto paint store you don't mean advanced?

Bear, I'm thinking simple and lasting over beauty. I need to do my roof channels at some point too but that will be another project for another time. It sounds like you may have done this before.

Last edited by jprevat; 10-17-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Well check with a couple local body shops. I have had small parts painted to match cheaper than buying the paint. If I catch them when they aren't busy.

If you want to get a good cheap gun and DIY. I have this set and they will lay down a nice coat of paint. With a 20% 0f coupon the price is right.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-p...kit-61472.html

Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
I'm assuming when you say auto paint store you don't mean advanced?
Exactly, lol. The stuff I get is about $17 a can. It smells like REAL paint too, lol. This is a can of Vermont Green from my Expy. This is the place I go to.... so this is similar to what you're going to want to find.

https://www.superiorpaintsupply.com/

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 PM

ACTUALLY... the paint I just bought for my wheels is made by De Beer, not PPG. Just remembered that I decided to give that a shot. It's pretty good stuff.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by kd4gij
Well check with a couple local body shops. I have had small parts painted to match cheaper than buying the paint. If I catch them when they aren't busy.

If you want to get a good cheap gun and DIY. I have this set and they will lay down a nice coat of paint. With a 20% 0f coupon the price is right.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-p...kit-61472.html

As bad as I want to go the gun route, I think my wife would kill me if I bought the compressor and all of the supplies to run it. I will go talk to the local shops and see what they would charge to spray those for me.

Originally Posted by white89gt
Exactly, lol. The stuff I get is about $17 a can. It smells like REAL paint too, lol. This is a can of Vermont Green from my Expy. This is the place I go to.... so this is similar to what you're going to want to find.

https://www.superiorpaintsupply.com/

Thank you for the link White. I'm really liking this route just out of sheer simplicity. How many cans would you estimate I would need? I'm definitely green. Lol

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 Collision Repair