Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2003 f150 4.6l.....I just about give up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 f150 4.6l.....I just about give up!

OK... I'll try and make it long story short if possible. I started having intermittent oil pressure then a tapping sound. Then the wife drove it and it quit on her. I went and brought it back.....it made a helluva banging sound but would start. I found the timing chain guide destroyed. I replaced the guides, chains, oil pump, powers steering pump(unrelated), pick up screen. Started and had oil pressure but still making a nasty tapping. I then ordered the valve compressor tool and replaced all the las adjusters.....thought I would be good....Nope! I started it and it clanged around and stopped. It won't even turn over. So.....breaker bar to the balancer....it won't go clockwise....I can reverse it back a turn and a half and it locks that way too. It will try to start only to abrutly stop with a clang. I double checked all the lash adjusters 3 times to make sure they were in place properly....Idk! Only thing I can guess is that its a rod or valve....what do u guys think?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be but at this point you ain't got nothing to lose pull it and start looking internally like at the bottom end crank rod etc
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 AM
FSM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This is an interference engine. When you replaced the chains if you are off by couple teeth the valve will hit pistons. If you loosen up your cams so all valves close then you can re time it. If starts a d runs and you still lose oil pressure then I would suspect main bearings. Could have bent a rod enough to lock it as well but only way to know if double check time.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the timing kinda of worried me, especially cause the driver side chain guides were gone and therefore the chain had gone completely loose, I'm not sure it is messed up....the timing kit had new gears and chains with black links. One on each cam gear and both aligned on the crank, seemed simpler than I thought other than having to come up with a way to get the guide, idler and chains all on at the same time. I used two small rods and a breaker bar to compress the cam on the drivers side to get it aligned with the black link. It was sitting on the 1-2 o'clock position and ended up being 12-1. The real kicker is after doing everything but the lash adjusters I drove it about 2 miles and was fine on oil pressure but was noisy...like the lashers were shot. After removing them I found that all of them were stiff with no movement...could a bent valve lock it up?

Quick Reply: 2003 f150 4.6l.....I just about give up!