Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2002 XLT Head unit

Old 11-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 XLT Head unit

Hi Chaps
I just got a 2002 F150 XLT, it's my first ever truck!
Really quite pleased with it, can't think why I never got one before...
Being a 2002 model, it does not have any Bluetooth, and the head unit is just a radio/casset... Can anyone tell me, is it possible to change over the head unit with a later model with a Ford SYNC chip and CD or even USB memory?? Would a later model 2007 or later fit??
Any ideas/advice would be gratefully received...
TIA
Old 11-15-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

You would be much better off opening up a Crutchfield catalog or going to Crutchfield's website and buying an aftermarket head unit with all of those features. It would be a gigantic pain in the ***** to try and mate up a new Ford unit in an old Ford truck. Not to mention expensive.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 PM
mbb

Received 889 Likes on 732 Posts

Yep, no reason to get a factory head unit.

Lots of places to get aftermarket and lots to choose from every price range.

I will caution though that pioneer (and maybe others) will not have a warranty unless it comes from an authorized dealer. For this reason some places give their own warranties.

The reason for this, is a lot of units made in China, get sold by the factory that were supposed to be destroyed because they failed quality testing, or they may just be bootleg production that the factory made that were never quality tested, or that Pioneer got no money from at all. The electronic world is filled with this crap today. You will see all kinds of people complaining of non working failures on Amazon , for all kinds of electronics, and this is part of the reason. So some companies would like to make sure it was legitimate quality tested production from an authorized dealer, before they satisfy warranty claim.

Last edited by mbb; 11-15-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, you're right of course, was just hoping a Ford unit might fit straight in. But I'm sure the later SYNC units would not be a straight swap even if I could find a cheap used one...
I did look at the Crutchfield site, looks like I can get what I need for less than $100...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 XLT Head unit