Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 F150XL, 4.2/V6 Seat Belt Retractors Slow & Weak

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 F150XL, 4.2/V6 Seat Belt Retractors Slow & Weak

I've just fixed the "suicide door" cable/lock problem using aluminum parts purchased from eBay, and now I'm ambitious and want to fix the slow & weak seat belt retractors. I assume this is a common problem, and this post is the first attempt at getting information on what the problem is and how to fix it.

General Questions:
1) Is this a common problem?
2) What exactly is broke inside?
3) How difficult is it to repair?
4) Any Youtube videos to recommend, etc...
5) Any personal experiences, "lessons learned", i.e. "don't do what I did" etc.... that might save me time and prevent making the problem worse.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrone_White
I've just fixed the "suicide door" cable/lock problem using aluminum parts purchased from eBay, and now I'm ambitious and want to fix the slow & weak seat belt retractors. I assume this is a common problem, and this post is the first attempt at getting information on what the problem is and how to fix it.

General Questions:
1) Is this a common problem?
2) What exactly is broke inside?
3) How difficult is it to repair?
4) Any Youtube videos to recommend, etc...
5) Any personal experiences, "lessons learned", i.e. "don't do what I did" etc.... that might save me time and prevent making the problem worse.

Thanks in advance.
only fix is to replace the seat belt assemblies, as there are no serviceable parts inside. Its probably just the return spring on the retractor is worn out from age/use
The following users liked this post:
Tyrone_White (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
only fix is to replace the seat belt assemblies, as there are no serviceable parts inside. Its probably just the return spring on the retractor is worn out from age/use
How do I get a part number for this assembly?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrone_White
How do I get a part number for this assembly?
ford dealer. I can get you a number if you post your VIN in here but you will have to order through your local ford dealer
Old 11-14-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Make sure you are sitting down when you see the price.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or walk around a U-pull-it lot checking F150s and Expy's until you find one that isn't weak.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, you are not going to believe how I "fixed" mine on the driver's side! I went to the dealer to order parts - it was expensive. The assistant service manager - who's son and mine played baseball together - told me this: "Take TWO hot buckets of water and put them on a stand by the driver's door, one bucket add some mild soap - like Joy, pull the seatbelt all the way out and stop it from retracting, place the belt in the soapy water (that's why you need the stand) for about 15 minutes and then scrub the belt on both sides thoroughly in the soapy water, put the belt in the clean non-soapy water and rinse if necessary with more clean water several bucket-fulls, dry the seatbelt thoroughly in the sun, unstop the seatbelt and let it retract." BOOM! Seatbelt worked and retracted! Why? The belt gets crud on it over the years and becomes inflexible - so it won't retract. All you're doing is making it pliable and flexible again by cleaning it. The soapy bucket looked like black muck too. I did this during the summer when it was hot - let the belt dry in the sun.
The following 2 users liked this post by themerc:
BigEd54 (11-20-2018), white89gt (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

Originally Posted by themerc
Well, you are not going to believe how I "fixed" mine on the driver's side! I went to the dealer to order parts - it was expensive. The assistant service manager - who's son and mine played baseball together - told me this: "Take TWO hot buckets of water and put them on a stand by the driver's door, one bucket add some mild soap - like Joy, pull the seatbelt all the way out and stop it from retracting, place the belt in the soapy water (that's why you need the stand) for about 15 minutes and then scrub the belt on both sides thoroughly in the soapy water, put the belt in the clean non-soapy water and rinse if necessary with more clean water several bucket-fulls, dry the seatbelt thoroughly in the sun, unstop the seatbelt and let it retract." BOOM! Seatbelt worked and retracted! Why? The belt gets crud on it over the years and becomes inflexible - so it won't retract. All you're doing is making it pliable and flexible again by cleaning it. The soapy bucket looked like black muck too. I did this during the summer when it was hot - let the belt dry in the sun.
Nice tip...
Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'll wait until summer. Thanks for tip.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by themerc
I watched a Youtube video a few days back that described this exact same process and intended to post here today asking if it was worth trying. Thanks for putting the answer here before I even asked the question.

Also I wonder if the fix isn't so much about "flexibility" is that it's about the swelling the belt is going to undergo as the material in the belt "swells" with crud. I'm wondering if it drags on something internal, due to the fact that it's now to "fat" to pass. Either way, I'm going to try this fix this week and will report results when I'm done.

To what degree are these things "disassemblable"? I haven't even looked at it yet. Just wondering if spraying the internal works with something like brake cleaner or WD-40 might accomplish something. So the first question is if it's even possible to access the internals.

Last edited by Tyrone_White; 11-20-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150XL, 4.2/V6 Seat Belt Retractors Slow & Weak