Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2000 F150 Hard Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
FlowmasterFord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 F150 Hard Shift

I have a 2000 f150 supercab 5.4 4x4. First gear to second gear hits hard after 2500 rpms but all other shifts are good. Wondering if i need to change fluid or any ideas. Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 AM

How many miles on the truck? How many on the fluid? If its more than 30K on the fluid then you should change it. But remember, if you're not doing a machine flush of the trans (Snap on T-stat or the like) then you'll have to do about 3 pan drops to get all of the old fluid. Also consider changing to a full synthetic fluid, like Amsoil. I've had success quieting down a hard shifting trans with a full fluid flush. Just make sure the fluid in there now isn't burnt. If it is don't change it, because it might be the only thing holding the trans together. good luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
FlowmasterFord

Originally Posted by roadtrip365
How many miles on the truck? How many on the fluid? If its more than 30K on the fluid then you should change it. But remember, if you're not doing a machine flush of the trans (Snap on T-stat or the like) then you'll have to do about 3 pan drops to get all of the old fluid. Also consider changing to a full synthetic fluid, like Amsoil. I've had success quieting down a hard shifting trans with a full fluid flush. Just make sure the fluid in there now isn't burnt. If it is don't change it, because it might be the only thing holding the trans together. good luck.
Its got 117000. I got the truck a year ago and am not sure when the last change was. How do i know if the fluid is burnt?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FlowmasterFord
Its got 117000. I got the truck a year ago and am not sure when the last change was. How do i know if the fluid is burnt?
Sounds about time to get the transmission fluid changed if and only if it hasn't already been done before or recently. If the color of the fluid is not somewhat of a bright red, and you notice on the dipstick its dirty and brownish then definitely go for it.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Sal
98 F150 4x4 4.6L

id go with this guys advice. ive heard of people having problems with having the tranny flushed with the fluid being dark, since most people dont have it serviced. if it wasnt changed regularly like every 30k miles i would leave it like he said.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by FlowmasterFord
Pull the dipstick, look at the color and most importantly, smell the fluid. If you're not familiar with how ATF fluid smells new, buy a cheap bottle for reference and compare. Even fluid that is old will still have the smell of new atf, if perhaps a bit muted. Color will help too; ATF with life in it looks like sweet and sour sauce, almost a day glow red. Typically the color will be slightly faded to pink or to the color of blood after some miles. Fords don't usually cook ATF to burnt, especially at only 117K, unless there is something really screwed up. Or you're using the truck as a cab in New York City.

If the fluid looks like used motor oil, and smells burnt, then you have had a serious internal problem at some point. The reason you'll not want to change the fluid then is that fluid is basically holding the all of the worn/broken bits in suspension, which is in turn holding the transmission together. If you drain a trans with really bad internals and burnt fluid its a guarantee that you'll be walking in short order.

From what you're describing I think that its just overdue for fluid; The fluid in there has probably used up all off its protective abilities. So as long as its not burnt, change it to a good synthetic and make a habit of doing it every 30K after. Good luck, and let us know how you made out.

Cheers,

Dennis
Old 12-09-2010, 02:53 PM
FlowmasterFord

Pull the dipstick, look at the color and most importantly, smell the fluid. If you're not familiar with how ATF fluid smells new, buy a cheap bottle for reference and compare. Even fluid that is old will still have the smell of new atf, if perhaps a bit muted. Color will help too; ATF with life in it looks like sweet and sour sauce, almost a day glow red. Typically the color will be slightly faded to pink or to the color of blood after some miles. Fords don't usually cook ATF to burnt, especially at only 117K, unless there is something really screwed up. Or you're using the truck as a cab in New York City.

If the fluid looks like used motor oil, and smells burnt, then you have had a serious internal problem at some point. The reason you'll not want to change the fluid then is that fluid is basically holding the all of the worn/broken bits in suspension, which is in turn holding the transmission together. If you drain a trans with really bad internals and burnt fluid its a guarantee that you'll be walking in short order.

From what you're describing I think that its just overdue for fluid; The fluid in there has probably used up all off its protective abilities. So as long as its not burnt, change it to a good synthetic and make a habit of doing it every 30K after. Good luck, and let us know how you made out.

Cheers,

Dennis
I compared the fluid to new atf fluid. The fluid in my truck is more of a reddish-brown and does not smell similar as well. I also compared my fluid to the fluid in my dads truck which is just a few years newer. Actually his was just as dark or darker but his truck shifts perfectly fine. I talked my friend who is a mechanic and he recomends just changing the fluid. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Default f150 problems need help

well i bought a 2000 f150 5.4 2wd with 138,000 miles on it and drove for about 3 weeks and all of a sudden my check engine light came on and i scanned it and it said faulty shift solenoid so i replaced the solenoid but didnt disconnect the battery before i did it and now i put the new solenoid in it and it would shift out of first real late then shift in and out of 2nd to fast what could be the problem please someone help me
Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It's best to scan for codes before doing any service. You may find that you need to drop the pan to access the shif solenoid. In which case you should also change the filter and fill with new fluid.BTW I think Mercon V is synthetic.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 Hard Shift