Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1998 f 150 headlight issue still.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 f 150 headlight issue still.

I replaced my head light switch and left headlight socket but still have no left headlight or high beams.
also,despite fixing ground and replacing inline fuse on the firewall and testing alternator and replacing the battery there is still no charging.
. Wondering if these issues may be because of a computer issue.
the alternator was already replaced b.t.w. previous owner said the charging issue started after thw tranny was rebuilt.
. Dont see any wiring issue in that area...might have missed some thing?
Thanks in advance for your knowledge and response.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Have you check the inside the cab fuse box at #26 and #28. 28 is the left headlight, 26 is the right plus DLR module. Both are 10 amp fuses. 26=5th fuse down on the right outer row. 28=7th fuse down, same row.

Also in the power distribution box under the hood, fuses 7, 8, and 9. Any one of these fuses could cause your problems. Check them and let us know your results.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks akdoggie

I did measure voltage at the fuses but I there there was just not enough current to drive the headlight.
the voltage came and went and after messing with one of those fuses it works again.
The high beams is the high low swith in the column.
Thanks for the help! Next (despite the alternator testing good) we are replacing the alternator as I got frustrated and hired a mobile mechanic to test the charging. He confirmed my testing and said he is going to replace the alternator and is charging a flat rate...fine if it is not the alt. He can figure it I hope.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:00 AM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

But the alternator was replaced already? Fiddling with a fuse made some stuff work. Computer problems? I'm suspecting corrosion with electrical connections, not unheard of on vehicles this old. You can get the right volts on something like a heavy gauge wire to a starter of main fuse but if there's internal corrosion tou won't have the amperage needed to get 'er done.