Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1998 electric trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 electric trouble

Greetings All,

I need some advice regarding my 1998 4x4 flare side f150. it has the 4.2 i believe.

When I turn off my pickup there is a clicking/grinding sound that seems to be coming from the dash or steering colum.

My alternator is a couple years old and just tested my starter last month, all is good there but my battery was dead yesterday, returned it for a new one and again today my NEW battery is dead. If I get a boost my truck will run fine but when left to sit the battery will go dead again, no cabin lights ect.

Any thoughts on what this clicking/grinding sound could be when i turn off my truck?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by FrankensteinsPickup
Greetings All,

I need some advice regarding my 1998 4x4 flare side f150. it has the 4.2 i believe.

When I turn off my pickup there is a clicking/grinding sound that seems to be coming from the dash or steering colum.

My alternator is a couple years old and just tested my starter last month, all is good there but my battery was dead yesterday, returned it for a new one and again today my NEW battery is dead. If I get a boost my truck will run fine but when left to sit the battery will go dead again, no cabin lights ect.

Any thoughts on what this clicking/grinding sound could be when i turn off my truck?
Where is this sound comimg from?
How long can you hear after turning off?

When you turn key to off position is there anything working? Heater, radio,turn signal ect.!

Last edited by Ryano; 11-30-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Default well

as i remember the heater was working, the clicking/grinding noise sounded like it was from the steering colum or maybe below it, somewhere on the dash.

I hear the sound for maybe 10-15 seconds after i turn off the truck but i donot spend excessive time in the truck after i turn it off. I assume this is why my battery keeps dying.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 PM

as i remember the heater was working, the clicking/grinding noise sounded like it was from the steering colum or maybe below it, somewhere on the dash.

I hear the sound for maybe 10-15 seconds after i turn off the truck but i donot spend excessive time in the truck after i turn it off. I assume this is why my battery keeps dying.
Need more info!

Find out for sure if heater is working with key out of truck! This sounds like ignition stw is out of adjustment. Ignition stw located I think on the top of your steering colume under the dash. Might do a search on that!

Get a reading of how many volt are in the battery , fully discharging your battery is not good for it, disconect cable in between driving.
Tell us more.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 PM

never even thought of disconeccting the battery between drivings. Great idea, Will post again when i can get a jump as im dead again. Thank you for your help as you can see im pretty new to diagnosing stuff like this.

EDIT: Im in college, is an ignition switch an expensive replacement? could I (in theory) do this w/o a garage charging mr 60/Hr?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM

never even thought of disconeccting the battery between drivings. Great idea, Will post again when i can get a jump as im dead again. Thank you for your help as you can see im pretty new to diagnosing stuff like this.

EDIT: Im in college, is an ignition switch an expensive replacement? could I (in theory) do this w/o a garage charging mr 60/Hr?
You dont know if this is it yet!
See if heater works with key out!

It may be that you can just adjust it a bit, their made that way!

looking in the hayes manual , your stw is not adjustable! Its in sect 12-5!

Have you replaced a ignition lock lately?This might explain why this is happening!

Last edited by Ryano; 11-30-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Still dead tho earlier today when my mom gave me a boost I heard a noise that I couldent figure out. It was the heater, running with my key out and off. I turned the heater off and when I came back the truck was dead.

I am not very good at repairs tho ive done alternator and starter on this truck with no problem. I have not had anything remotely done to it in a garage lately.

Last edited by FrankensteinsPickup; 11-30-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Still dead tho earlier today when my mom gave me a boost I heard a noise that I couldent figure out. It was the heater, running with my key out and off. I turned the heater off and when I came back the truck was dead.

I am not very good at repairs tho ive done alternator and starter on this truck with no problem. I have not had anything remotely done to it in a garage lately.
Manually turn the heater off, see if you stll hear noise! Isolate the problem!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a bunch of electrical problems when i first bought my truck and it turned out to be the windshield leaking onto my fuse box under the dash it caused my battery to die and weird **** to happen check to see if its wet down there .

Quick Reply: 1998 electric trouble