Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 f150 hard shifts cel on and shuddering or sputtering problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1997 f150 hard shifts cel on and shuddering or sputtering problem

I am new to this forum and so i would first like to say hi,
I bought my automatic 1997 f150 4.6 w vin reg cab 4x4 with 110,000 miles a few months ago and after i drove it awhile i noticed it had a light rough idle and the rough running ocurrs until you bring the engine to 3000 rpms in park. Sometimes when i accelerated coming out of my driveway in the mornings it would sputter or shudder after it shifted to second gear causing it to not accelerate till more throttle was applied (sometimes requiring full throttle!) . Also when giving more throttle to go up a hill it would gear down normally but then it felt like it shifted up a gear which made it bog down and lose power until i gave even more throttle.

A couple days later the cel came on and so i had it scanned and it gave the insufficient egr flow code so i replaced the egr valve which did not fix it, i then looked around on forums and saw people mention the egr ports in the throttle body elbow would get clogged. So i checked and sure enough one of them was completely clogged up, i cleaned it out and the code did not come back but it still had a rough idle. I don't think it's connected but a few days after that the transmission started shifting hard so i changed the transmission fluid and the it made the shifts slightly softer but didn't get rid off them.

Two days later the shifts were harder and the cel came on, i had it scanned and it gave code for output shaft speed sensor circuit and another that the advance employee said usually meant i needed a new gas cap. I replaced the rear axle speed sensor because they said it was probably the cause of the hard shifts. The shifts were softer and sometimes it would shift normally but no code. Then 2 or 3 days later the cel came back on I had it scanned again. This time it gave the insufficient egr flow code and the same output shaft circuit code.....

If anyone has had their truck do this before or may know what my problems are please let me know.

Last edited by jaron45; 04-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like multiple ghosts. Torque converter shudder can sometimes be fixed with a 2 Oz tube of Lubegard Dr. Tranny Instant shudder fix, which provides more friction, and it ended my shudder problem. Next, the bad idle could be a vacuum leak (as I'm chasing), fuel filter or fuel pressure (low), or MAF and IAC needs cleaning. It is possible that your fuel filter is original, which means it's overdue, and periodic cleaning of the MAF (get the sensor cleaner dedicated to it), and throttle body cleaner for the throttle body and IAC (which bolts on the throttle body). Any hissing sounds at idle? Time for new plugs, too. Misfiring can be masked at higher RPM, so the sputter at low RPM could be plug, coil pack or vacuum problems.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for your suggestions i will check into them, I had forgotten to mention i changed the plugs and cleaned the iac and changed the air filter. I can't remember any hissing sounds at the moment but i'll check to see if i can hear any.

Quick Reply: 1997 f150 hard shifts cel on and shuddering or sputtering problem