Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 F150 Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 F150 Brakes question

Hey everyone! I have a 1997 F150 4.6L V6 166,000 miles that I use for just a work truck. Front has rotors and rear has drums. I have had some brake issues since I got it. Once you have come to a full stop and release the brake, the truck doesnt move unless you give it a little gas. When you do, you can hear a pop and feel it break loose. I thinking maybe warped rotor / stuck caliper maybe? Also, when you are applying the brake, the last little bit right before you stop the truck comes to a violent stop where it seems as if the brakes barely grab until the end and the then all of a sudden WHAM! they grab really hard. Makes inching in to a parking spot and such rather difficult.

So here are a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. Does it sound like a warped rotor and or sticking caliper in the front?
2. If I replace the calipers, pads, & rotors, should I replace brake lines while I am at it if you all think that might be causing some problems as well?
3. Does anyone know the size socket I would need to remove the big nut for the rotor removal?

Thanks in advance everyone for you help!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

I think you might be dealing with two issues.... but I'd start with the brakes. Mine was starting to do the violent stop (especially in reverse) It turned out being a wheel cylinder that was sticking. So I rebuilt the entire rear brake system.... new drums and all.

Now, the little pop you are hearing might be the driveshaft yoke or a u-joint. You really need to pull the driveshaft to check it properly though. If the u-joints check out OK, then maybe all you need is ti grease the yoke with some PTFE lubricant... on the INSIDE where the splines are.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 5,558 Likes on 4,635 Posts

The brake system parts in these 150's blow..been through that trama. Start at the brake lines (the rubber silcon lines) and replace everything for any longevity. Or, advance to an Expy big brake swap. Either or they cost the same.

I'd check the pads first, see how they wearing. That can tell you what's going on. For the noises your hearing, again check the brake system since that has the most obvious issues at this time. Noises, look at the caliper anchor plate bracket. Those tend to loosen and could result in the problems your having. Make sure you know which bolts I'm referring to or you'll miss them.