Topic Sponsor
Northeast CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, WV

Question about EZPass

Old 04-28-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about EZPass

Just got the new truck - thrilled with it. Anyway, went to update my EZpass today (NY)....my tag is registered as "Car/Auto/SUV" from my previous SUV. I put in the new info for my F-150, choosing "pickup under 7K lbs" and the system took it, and everything looks good. Problem is, when I look at the tag info, the tag still says "Car/Auto/SUV" even though the Vehicle info is updated...is this going to be a problem / do I have to swap tags?

The pickup and "car/auto/SUV" options use the same vehicle code (72) so I'm not sure why they even care, honestly, but I just don't want to get hit with a surprise fine if I drive through a toll for not updating this. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 346 Likes on 242 Posts

For what it's worth, my (Maine) EZPass is setup as a normal auto, and I didn't encounter any issues driving through NY even with a trailer on (I did get correctly dinged for the trailer on one section of road, but not on the next; I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm not about to ask questions, either).

The NYS classification chart on their website indicates that height and axle count are the determining factors:
https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/classes.html
Old 06-19-2019, 11:47 PM
Bleeds Ford Blue

Received 321 Likes on 183 Posts

I don't think it matters much. I only had one unit for awhile and used it between several different cars ranging from a Sebring ragtop to an F-150. I just made sure the plates were registered to it. Don't recall ever getting hit with any fines.

Only time I recall a fine is when I loaned it to my mother and she put it on the bumper upside down so it didn't read properly on The Parkway. But I said that the car was "mine", gave them my pass number and only got charged for the "missed" tolls (~$2). This is what started making sure the plates were listed under my account.

_

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about EZPass