Topic Sponsor
Southwest AZ, CA, HI, NM, NV, UT

Nite run Sat 28th July

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Nite run Sat 28th July

The run I am doing is Sat night the 28th, I prefer to go for the night during summer in the desert. I am going with my sister and her husband. They live in Ramona. They drive the Jeep Rubicon. My Daughter and her husband are going and they drive a 2011 Silverado. I just bought my 2012 Super Duty FX4 this will be my maiden trip. The drive I do is about 50 miles through the desert at night.
Dirt roads, sand washes, dunes and rock. I start at Ocotillo wells off HWY 78, turn onto split mountain road by the airport. Towards the end of split mountain road is fish creek, Fish creek is fun to play around in until dark. Then we head south east throught the desert for about three hours. we go through a sand wash, follow a dirt road along some pole line, cross a couple of washes, We end up at a place called superstition mtn. if time allows we try and play around up in the sand hills for about an hour or two. then we head out to a road called Huff rd. witch will help lead us over to I8 where we head west back to San Diego.
I usually get home (El Cajon) around 2-3 am
Attached Thumbnails Nite run Sat 28th July-img_5022-.jpg   Nite run Sat 28th July-img_5009.jpg   Nite run Sat 28th July-img_2761.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 PM

A past run two or three runs back

http://youtu.be/cPEqpD6MBnQ

Last edited by Larryw1; 07-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM

I bring my truck (of course) LOL. a cooler with snacks -food I like because we get hungry in the middle of the run. however we do eat in Ramona before heading out. We fuel up in Ramona. I bring water, soda or fav drink. small tool kit and shovel if needed. electric air pump. We lower our tires down. Most of the roads a 4x2 can make, but some of the wash is a good test on a 4x2. and to go up into Superstition you would need a 4x4. My F150 went all through the top area of superstition. I had to pull out a jeep and a couple of trucks 1 chevy and a ford.
If you know superstition then you should know the pole road. a very boring drive in the day! but not bad for the night. Have you ever driven in the mud canyons at fish creek ?

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/6gxrEefoaAc?feature=player_embedded"
My F150 made the whole drive from Ramona throught the desert and back to El Cajon on one tank
with my new super duty I may bring an extra can of fuel. not knowing the truck yet.

Last edited by Larryw1; 07-26-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 AM

Default anyone is welcome to go

who is going? so far!
Myself and wife , two youngest kids 11,9 years old. My oldest daughter and husband and my grandson 12 years old. My Son in law is a staff SRGT in the marines. My sister and her husband and daughter 11 years.
maybe a wifes friend.

there is a lot of driving a few stops along the way. the moon should be about 69%
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Default Video from the run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mfWLbCKqR1k

Quick Reply: Nite run Sat 28th July