Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Yet another 06 F150 5.4L, rough idle, dies at stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Yet another 06 F150 5.4L, rough idle, dies at stopping.

Just picked up a 2006 5.4L with a 162k on it.It does have a P0345 & P0349 code present.

While the engine is Cold it runs fine, no issues that are present. Once it warms up though it begins to have a rough idle and will die if you come to an abrupt stop. If you hop on the freeway it drives like a champ, never really misses a beat.

I have read for hours about these issues but I'm trying to narrow it down a bit as to not spend a ton of money. I have heard of guys changing all of these things below and still have the code and rough idle issues.

Here are some things I was looking into:
VCT Solenoid (I have unplugged the VCT solenoid and it still dies and has a rough idle)
Cam Phaser
Cam Positioning Sensor (I was thinking of swapping them to see if it changes to P0340)
Throttle Body
IAC - Idle Air Control

Let me know if you have experienced this and what steps you did to remedy the truck.Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Bimmerod

UPDATE: 05-28-18

Things I have done to the truck so far that only helped preventing it from stalling when coming to a stop:

Spark Plugs
Throttle body cleaned
MAF cleaned
Fuel filter
Oil change with 10W-30

I guess it's time to take the driver's side valve cover off and take a look at the Phaser and Chain itself.

Any other thoughts?

UPDATE 05/29/18:

I changed the drivers side VCT solenoid today. I drove it around while and I am not getting any codes or pending codes coming up.

However the truck still wants to idle rough and make the diesel sounds if put in the right circumstances. It really only happens when I feather the throttle from a stop, kinda rev it and then let of then rev again, like you would do if you are trying to get the guy next to you to race.

If you just give it gas and rev it smoothly then the clanky diesel noise goes away and the truck runs great. When I had the valve cover off, I did check to see that the timing mark and phaser ring are aligned, not sure if that means anything ??? Also, the chain is tight and there doesn't appear to be anything broken i.e guides/tensioner although it is tough to see clearly.

To me if just seems like there is LOW oil pressure around idle/low rpm and it just starts clanking. As soon as you rev it up, everything is fine and the engine sounds great.

What are the next steps for me ? What should I take a look at from here ?

Bimmerod

Last edited by Bimmerod; 05-29-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added Update
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

The 5.4 3v don’t have a IAC.. have you tried cleaning the throttle body and Maf? Check the foam gasket around the air box.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
The 5.4 3v don’t have a IAC.. have you tried cleaning the throttle body and Maf? Check the foam gasket around the air box.
Thanks for the reply, didn't realize the IAC wasn't on this TB. There is something on the side where I'm used to seeing the IAC ?

I will work on the things you advised and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Bimmerod
Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Same issue on my truck. Thicken up your oil for starters. I went with 5w30 instead of 5w20 and that fixed my issue until I changed my phasers, chains, guides, oil pump, etc... In my opinion i believe that the crappy oil pump that ford put in our trucks is the main reason for these issues with the phasers and idle. They dont supply enough oil pressure at idle to maintain the engine. Thats why the thicker oil will help keep the engine lubricated at idle while the oil pump tries to keep up. In the end, Im sure I could have just used thicker oil for the life of my engine, but i had a lot of chain slapping at start up and it turned out to be a broken tensioner and guide. Drain the oil and try thicker to start things off.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 PM

Things I have done to the truck so far that only helped preventing it from stalling when coming to a stop:

Spark Plugs
Throttle body cleaned
MAF cleaned
Fuel filter
Oil change with 10W-30

I guess it's time to take the driver's side valve cover off and take a look at the Phaser and Chain itself.

Any other thoughts,

Bimmerod
Old 05-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fordtechmakuloco has a video showing how a high mileage VCT can still have symptoms even when disconnected. He indicates it is because the return spring gets weak due to being worn out.

Good news is your VCT is easy to change.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by AlleninNM
Fordtechmakuloco has a video showing how a high mileage VCT can still have symptoms even when disconnected. He indicates it is because the return spring gets weak due to being worn out.

Good news is your VCT is easy to change.
UPDATE 05/29/18:

I changed the drivers side VCT solenoid today. I drove it around while and I am not getting any codes or pending codes coming up.

However the truck still wants to idle rough and make the diesel sounds if put in the right circumstances. It really only happens when I feather the throttle from a stop, kinda rev it and then let of then rev again, like you would do if you are trying to get the guy next to you to race.

If you just give it gas and rev it smoothly then the clanky diesel noise goes away and the truck runs great. When I had the valve cover off, I did check to see that the timing mark and phaser ring are aligned, not sure if that means anything ??? Also, the chain is tight and there doesn't appear to be anything broken i.e guides/tensioner although it is tough to see clearly.

To me if just seems like there is LOW oil pressure around idle/low rpm and it just starts clanking. As soon as you rev it up, everything is fine and the engine sounds great.

Thanks,

Bimmerod

Last edited by Bimmerod; 05-30-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Eh, sounds like a timing job to me. Could have broken chain guides plugging your oil pickup tube thus causing oil starvation, which would in turn cause these symptoms.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmerod

Spark Plugs
Throttle body cleaned
MAF cleaned
Fuel filter
Oil change with 10W-30

Any other thoughts,

Bimmerod
Fuel module under spare tire on frame? It gets rusty and falls apart
Old 05-30-2018, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Bimmerod
Just picked up a 2006 5.4L with a 162k on it.It does have a P0345 & P0349 code present.

While the engine is Cold it runs fine, no issues that are present. Once it warms up though it begins to have a rough idle and will die if you come to an abrupt stop. If you hop on the freeway it drives like a champ, never really misses a beat.

I have read for hours about these issues but I'm trying to narrow it down a bit as to not spend a ton of money. I have heard of guys changing all of these things below and still have the code and rough idle issues.

Here are some things I was looking into:
VCT Solenoid (I have unplugged the VCT solenoid and it still dies and has a rough idle)
Cam Phaser
Cam Positioning Sensor (I was thinking of swapping them to see if it changes to P0340)
Throttle Body
IAC - Idle Air Control

Let me know if you have experienced this and what steps you did to remedy the truck.Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Bimmerod

Spark Plugs
Throttle body cleaned
MAF cleaned
Fuel filter
Oil change with 10W-30

Any other thoughts?

UPDATE 05/29/18:

Bimmerod
I'm a newbie here but I HAD same problem. Analysed it and mine was spitting out codes left and right and center. After researching this for hours on end and pulling what little hair I had "out"--changing vct solenoids. Problem returned 3 hours later. Cured it by changing my oil to 20W-50. and new Motorcraft filter. Raised my oil pressure 5 pounds and cured it. 5W-30 is to thin when engine is hot and cam phasers need oil pressure - at idle- to unretard or retard the cam shaft. This is only a temp fix tho -you need to eventually replace the oil pump and while in there replace timing chains and sprockets. Yeah I know this weight of oil will void my warranty! lol I'm not kidding tho what do you have to lose just by changing your oil?

Quick Reply: Yet another 06 F150 5.4L, rough idle, dies at stopping.