Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wish I could go back

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Unhappy Wish I could go back

Backwards that is.

Reverse is now an issue

To be clear I can use reverse but engagement is slow and there is slip, especially under load. This showed it's ugly head when backing my TT into its spot. I actually had some signs this winter when stuck in deep snow.

After some research it turns out the F150 had issues with the band for reverse. Tomorrow I am dropping the truck off at a transmission shop of which the owner is a friend of the family. After asking around the race community they tell me his trans guy is the best in town. The are going to try to just replace the band if they don't find any other issue while they are in there.

Regardless I am certain I'll be in for at least $1200 after the repair, hot flush and R&R. There goes the savings for the new boots

Any suggestions on upgrades while they have it apart?

Last edited by Dirttracker18; 07-01-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 AM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

This is on a completely different vehicle, but I had my reverse gear fail due to a transmission sleeve that grenaded years ago. They had to do a full rebuild to get to it, and while they were at I told them go ahead and replace any part that looked worn at all. They wound up replacing a few extra components and it cost me about an extra hundred bucks, but I tell you, that car drove so smooth after that rebuild.

So, go ahead and tell them to watch for any parts in general that look rough and go ahead and replace them while they're in there.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Well the truck is back but the news sucks.

It was the reverse band but there was other damage inside which required a rebuild. They keep one on the shelf so it was R&R and the rear u joint on the front shaft was shot so that was done while it was apart.

All in with taxes in cost me $2800

Quick Reply: Wish I could go back