Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wiring dome light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wiring dome light

I just recently purchased a canopy for my truck and it has both TBL and a dome light I would like to wire it in what I think is called three way. I want to have a switch in the bed area q and one in the cab both able to turn the light on or off. Is this doable if so please explain how to do it. TIA Joe
Old 06-24-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by blummer65
I just recently purchased a canopy for my truck and it has both TBL and a dome light I would like to wire it in what I think is called three way. I want to have a switch in the bed area q and one in the cab both able to turn the light on or off. Is this doable if so please explain how to do it. TIA Joe
Easy quick way I did something similar on my 2016 work truck.

It's not three way'd so to speak but, I do have a switch in the cab and one in the bed for the LED's in the Leer shell.

I simply tied into the cargo/dimmer switch for power from the cab, this way I could operate my cargo light and the lights in the camper, I also have some aux lights on the outside tied in for visibility.

Then, I ran a constant to the trailer harness and fed into the shell from the back up the bed to another switch located by the tailgate where I could reach it soon as I opened the door.

Thing I liked about doing it this way was that I could make all the lights turn on and off with my key fob remote by locking or unlocking the doors which

worked great for gaining entry to the switch when it was really dark.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

So it really depends on how you want it to work. I have a Leer top on my truck with the LED dome inside and 3rd brake light. The dome light is tapped right from the battery with a wire running all the way to the back of the truck that is hot all of the time, dome light switch is on the light right above tailgate. The 3rd brake light is tapped off the drivers side brake light spliced into a wire right behind the brake light assembly. If you want it to work 3 way like in a house where either switch will turn it on or off you will need 3 way switches. The easy way in my opinion is run one wire back there and put a switch in the cab that would be the master and turn power on/off to the back and put another switch on the dome in the back. So the switch in the cab controls power to the back and if you leave the switch on in back you can control it from up front.