Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Window Won't Roll Up - This one's got me confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Won't Roll Up - This one's got me confused

So I've had motors and regulators screw up on me before but this isn't the case.

Culprit - Front Passenger Window

Problem - The window is getting power to go down but won't go back up.

What I've Tested so far - Window Regulator, Motor, and Switch.

Truck - 2004 5.4l Supercrew

First thing I did was get a new window motor and regulator and just plugged it into the truck, the new one worked when pressing the down button but not up. So I figured it was the switch. I took the panel/button off the rear passenger door and plugged it in up front and again I can here it click and get power to go down and not go up.

I've heard it could be an issue with the drivers side panel and if something is messed up there it won't work on the passengers side either. Don''t know the validity of this but will test this after work.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

It is true, if the driver switch is bad the other won't work either.
The following users liked this post:
Troy Wojtaszek (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
It is true, if the driver switch is bad the other won't work either.
Awesome, good to know, thanks!!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd check the connection between the button of the driver switch and circuit. You'll need to remove the switch from the door then disassemble it. I noticed with my drivers side window, it would roll down with ease but going back up sometimes would take a few clicks or not work at all occasionally. There was a black coating on the metal which connects to the button you push, i've had to clean this off and the window rolled up perfectly after that. If i remember correctly i just used some rubbing alcohol to remove whatever the black coating was on the metal.
Troy Wojtaszek (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jking0385
I'd check the connection between the button of the driver switch and circuit. You'll need to remove the switch from the door then disassemble it. I noticed with my drivers side window, it would roll down with ease but going back up sometimes would take a few clicks or not work at all occasionally. There was a black coating on the metal which connects to the button you push, i've had to clean this off and the window rolled up perfectly after that. If i remember correctly i just used some rubbing alcohol to remove whatever the black coating was on the metal.
Awesome, I'll definitely add that to my list of trials.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jking0385
Fixed it Friday but wanted to come on and post the solution. Took the Driver's side control panel apart, took the buttons off and cleaned all the metal connections underneath and boom, works no problem!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I have a problem with my passenger side rear window. It wont go down or up but works just fine from drivers door switch. I haven't looked at it yet, but now I think that I need to take that switch a part and clean it.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Wojtaszek
Fixed it Friday but wanted to come on and post the solution. Took the Driver's side control panel apart, took the buttons off and cleaned all the metal connections underneath and boom, works no problem!
Mine did the same thing years ago. I also bent the copper contacts up a bit if I remember correctly.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

I assume one has to remove the door card to remove the switches, correct? Anything tricky about removing the door panel?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Trio
I assume one has to remove the door card to remove the switches, correct? Anything tricky about removing the door panel?
The switch panel will pop right off. You may need a screwdriver to pop off the plug, but the little panel should pop right off with just your hand. I just took mine apart and cleaned it all up, and then it worked. It sounds like the contact for the up isn't touching.
Trio (07-15-2017)