Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
View Poll Results: which truck?
f-150
93.62%
silverado
2.13%
tundra
4.26%
tacoma
0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Why should i choose a 04-08 f-150?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why should i choose a 04-08 f-150?

I'm looking at replacing my current truck (95 tacoma) and am torn between the 04-08 f-150s, 00-07 tundras, 05-08 tacomas, and a 99-07 chevy 1500.

What i need,
Price: $16,000 or under
drivetrain: v6 or v8 with a auto trans, and 4x4
cab: 4 full doors
bed: short bed
reliability
less then 100k miles
decent aftermarket
and somewhat capable off road without major mods.

and i will also occasionally tow a #4500 boat, max of 50 miles.
those who vote please state why you went with your truck vs chevy or dodge or toyota.
Mods, sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

Last edited by 95 taco; 07-24-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly you should go hit up some dealers and test drive a few different trucks. I wanted a Silverado bad before I bought my f150, thats what most people drive where I'm from and I grew up wanting one, until I test drove my 04 lariat, the interior is better on my Ford, the power is better, the ride quality is better, the handling is better. Just all around better. So I'm a firm believer in go test drive an f150, and you'll realize why the f series is the best selling truck of all time.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_tucson (08-01-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Beach
Honestly you should go hit up some dealers and test drive a few different trucks. I wanted a Silverado bad before I bought my f150, thats what most people drive where I'm from and I grew up wanting one, until I test drove my 04 lariat, the interior is better on my Ford, the power is better, the ride quality is better, the handling is better. Just all around better. So I'm a firm believer in go test drive an f150, and you'll realize why the f series is the best selling truck of all time.
I agree 100% with this. I love fords and have always owned them but when it comes time for a new truck, im going to test drive everything. I might be suprised by another brand. Another question is do you NEED a full size truck or is it a want. You can then at least eliminate the Tacoma. Aftermarket wise there are far more options for Ford/Chevy trucks than there are for the Tundra. I could be wrong, but the Tundra offers the largest cab out of the choices you have listed. My buddy had a CrewMax and it was like a small home. Ford in my opinion has the highest quality interiors, best engines and personally think they look the best.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM

I really wanted a Tundra, couldn't afford the newer 08+ ones. In my research on -07 models didn't like what I was reading about the undercoating. Apparently the frame manufacturer messed up, the the frames rusted out badly--then again I'm in MN and winter/salt is crazy.

Won't touch a GM product because of the bailouts.

Bought a 2005 F150

Ag
Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Now and then I ride in or drive Dodges and GM pickups of 2004 and newer vintages. I like my 2004 F150 more than any other truck I have been in.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had 3 f150s, a 2002, 2005, now 2008 and I won't ever get another truck unless its a f250. These trucks have been more then reliable and have never left me on the side of road. Like states above, best bet is to test drive all of them to see what feels best to you.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Do your research........ When ford redesigned the f-150 in 2004. Every other dealer started trying to copy ford in some way. Ford was the first to offer a 100% boxed frame with cross thru bracing. Yea, toyota and dodge have a lot more hp but they don't hold up as well everywhere else....... GM is a car that "looks" like a truck so it's not even on the right playing field.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very open to other trucks but my favorite is a ford, I've driven Tacomas and didn't like them because they didn't have as much space although they did have good power. Tundras were alright but I just don't like the way they look, Chevys just don't seem to have the power that ford does my parents are a all into GM and I'm the only one with a ford, I've had 4 f150s and don't think I could ever own another brand of truck, they are realiable (drove one up to 320,000 miles) they have a lot of power, drive smooth, they didn't have to be bailed out and they are American. So I would recommend an f150 to anyone
Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Beach
I plan on test driving every option before i buy.
i drove my uncles 04 (?) AC 1500 z71, and i really liked it, but it's a chevy (never been a real big fan) and when i looked on auto trader they had 7 recalls vs the 1 for the ford.
Originally Posted by rustyninja911
I agree 100% with this. I love fords and have always owned them but when it comes time for a new truck, im going to test drive everything. I might be suprised by another brand. Another question is do you NEED a full size truck or is it a want. You can then at least eliminate the Tacoma. Aftermarket wise there are far more options for Ford/Chevy trucks than there are for the Tundra. I could be wrong, but the Tundra offers the largest cab out of the choices you have listed. My buddy had a CrewMax and it was like a small home. Ford in my opinion has the highest quality interiors, best engines and personally think they look the best.
i don't need a FS per say, but i don't want it to be a limiting factor when i get out of college and have money to do stuff.
the tundra does have the biggest cab, which is a big factor for me as i'm 6'4'' and 250, but i also want to keep the size of the truck closer to a 05+ tacoma, which the ford fits, it's 2 inches longer, and is 5 inches wider.
i also like the 5.4 engines and the interiors, and i really like the looks of the 04-08.
Originally Posted by AgAuthority
I really wanted a Tundra, couldn't afford the newer 08+ ones. In my research on -07 models didn't like what I was reading about the undercoating. Apparently the frame manufacturer messed up, the the frames rusted out badly--then again I'm in MN and winter/salt is crazy.

Won't touch a GM product because of the bailouts.

Bought a 2005 F150

Ag
I did read a little about the frame rot (our 95-04 tacomas have it to), and because of the bigger size, and the frame rot i'm leaning more towards a tacoma or f-150 vs the tundra.
Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
Now and then I ride in or drive Dodges and GM pickups of 2004 and newer vintages. I like my 2004 F150 more than any other truck I have been in.
i need to ride in one, the last f-150 i rode in was moms 2010 4 door 2wd, and before that her 01 4 door 2wd.
Originally Posted by Ballin STX
I have had 3 f150s, a 2002, 2005, now 2008 and I won't ever get another truck unless its a f250. These trucks have been more then reliable and have never left me on the side of road. Like states above, best bet is to test drive all of them to see what feels best to you.
how many miles did you get out of them? i know fords are reliable and durable, but there are very few times IMO when they beat toyotas reliability.
Originally Posted by FANGS99
Do your research........ When ford redesigned the f-150 in 2004. Every other dealer started trying to copy ford in some way. Ford was the first to offer a 100% boxed frame with cross thru bracing. Yea, toyota and dodge have a lot more hp but they don't hold up as well everywhere else....... GM is a car that "looks" like a truck so it's not even on the right playing field.
thanks for the info
Originally Posted by nrpyles
I'm very open to other trucks but my favorite is a ford, I've driven Tacomas and didn't like them because they didn't have as much space although they did have good power. Tundras were alright but I just don't like the way they look, Chevys just don't seem to have the power that ford does my parents are a all into GM and I'm the only one with a ford, I've had 4 f150s and don't think I could ever own another brand of truck, they are realiable (drove one up to 320,000 miles) they have a lot of power, drive smooth, they didn't have to be bailed out and they are American. So I would recommend an f150 to anyone
my sister has a 08 tacoma 4 door, and i was surprised the first time i sat in the back, it looks so big yet my knees were in the back of her seat and i have to sit hunched over a little so my head is on the ceiling.
that would be awesome if i could get 250k miles out of a f-150, my tacoma has 188k.

thank you all for your input, just one more question (for now), does this forum have a thread of what the common problems are on the 04-08's?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Poke around the 04-08 section and you will find the ones that come up alot. I think plugs are the biggest. There is a sticky at the top of the page devoted to plugs.

Quick Reply: Why should i choose a 04-08 f-150?