Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

While in Montana this summer

Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default While in Montana this summer

I decided to replace front and rear shocks. I used the strut combo deal from Monroe and the rear Monroe shocks with the coil. Both the higher end. Could not believe the difference it made in ride. I primarily drive on hard surface but while in Montana lots of dirt roads. What a diff. Very easy to install. Had front and rear on in less then three hours did not have to take tires off in rear but I did have to jack fram up about two inches to get rear in. LOL the shocks were original i took off and had 220 on them. I thought the original owner had change them I discovered he had not. LOL
When I pulled the rear off I compressed them and they took about three minutes to pop back out. LOL Got the front struts on amazon and the back at Oreily. no tax in Montana and with my 10% military discount got front and rear for around three. Both front and rear were the high end not the cheaper monroes.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Nice.. you mean the front struts were the combo coil over.. strut and coil spring together.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Rear load adjusting shocks have the springs on the shocks if you buy them in Monroe. Got a set on my truck. He bought the "quick strut" for the front.
The following users liked this post:
ceasefire49 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 AM

[QUOTE=techrep;4959998]Nice.. you mean the front struts were the combo coil over.. strut and coil spring together.[/QUOTEYep correct load adjusting on rear and quick struts on front not the cheaper ones but the high end ones. I am thrilled with the ride. Followed the you tube video not the Canadian guy that drinks a lot of beer and swears a lot. Didn't have to take everything off in the front. Just dropped the tie Rod end off turned the disc and caliber towards the front. After loosening all the bolts on strut carefully pulled it out around the rubber bellows. Went right in the same way. jacked underneath control arm to get ride height then tightened bottom bolt. This is the one I used for video. Many have you removing damn near the whole front wheel assembly. This is the best and quickest. I sprayed everything with deep creep and let set overnight and everything came off very easy. The inside top is easy ro get from the top inside engine compartment.

Last edited by ceasefire49; 09-22-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Nice.. you mean the front struts were the combo coil over.. strut and coil spring together.
Yep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: While in Montana this summer