Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wheel & Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:39 PM
psychx.net

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Wheel & Suspension Question

2006 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

Hey all, just signed up here. I walked out today to see that my driver side rear tire was very low. I checked and found some kind of nail in between the tread. What would you guys recommend? Should I try to get it "repaired" ie: plugged, or something cheap like fix a flat, or should I just go get a new tire? The tire itself and tread is in fair shape.

Another problem that I've noticed has developed over time:
When slowing down (fast or slow speed) I get a vibration/pulsing... Rotors?

I wanted to do all of my brakes soon, so I was thinking I might want to look into replacing the rotors. What are your thoughts and would I need any other parts other than the rotors and the brakes? (ie: any kind of pin that has to be replaced or anything?) What brakes would you recommend?

I also noticed some 'shaking' when going above 70 mph but it seems to straighten out either by a change in speed (faster or slower) or just over time. What should I investigate?

I've also heard some ticking noise when making a sharp turn, sounds like it's coming from the suspension. If you suspect some major suspension work in the future, do you think I should look into doing some kind of upgrade? I plan on having the truck for a while.

Sorry for all of the questions, just looking for some direction/advice. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Thank you!
-Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by psychx
2006 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

Hey all, just signed up here. I walked out today to see that my driver side rear tire was very low. I checked and found some kind of nail in between the tread. What would you guys recommend? Should I try to get it "repaired" ie: plugged, or something cheap like fix a flat, or should I just go get a new tire? The tire itself and tread is in fair shape.

Another problem that I've noticed has developed over time:
When slowing down (fast or slow speed) I get a vibration/pulsing... Rotors?

I wanted to do all of my brakes soon, so I was thinking I might want to look into replacing the rotors. What are your thoughts and would I need any other parts other than the rotors and the brakes? (ie: any kind of pin that has to be replaced or anything?) What brakes would you recommend?

I also noticed some 'shaking' when going above 70 mph but it seems to straighten out either by a change in speed (faster or slower) or just over time. What should I investigate?

I've also heard some ticking noise when making a sharp turn, sounds like it's coming from the suspension. If you suspect some major suspension work in the future, do you think I should look into doing some kind of upgrade? I plan on having the truck for a while.

Sorry for all of the questions, just looking for some direction/advice. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Thank you!
-Mike
A plug should fix the tire. Don't use fix a flat.

Rotors aren't hard to replace on these trucks. Look up a YouTube video.

The vibration while driving around 70mph is likely an out of balance tire. Have a road force balance preformed. Find a shop that offers that. If it's still there or they find an issue, it could be an out of round wheel or tire.

The ticking could be your IWE's.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:09 PM
psychx.net

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply.

How much do you think they will charge for a plug or is it something I can do? $40? You think the rotors are most likely shot? The truck has a lot of miles and I'm not sure when, if ever, they were replaced.

Good idea on the out of balance tire. Sounds right, going to have it checked. I guess I'll end up having a shop do the plug and the road force balance at the same time.

I'll look into IWE problem.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by psychx
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply.

How much do you think they will charge for a plug or is it something I can do? $40? You think the rotors are most likely shot? The truck has a lot of miles and I'm not sure when, if ever, they were replaced.

Good idea on the out of balance tire. Sounds right, going to have it checked. I guess I'll end up having a shop do the plug and the road force balance at the same time.

I'll look into IWE problem.

Thanks again!
No problem.

If the hole isn't close to the sidewall of the tire, a plug should be $20.

There are kits you can buy to do it yourself as well. It's not a bad job. But if you want to make sure it's done right, I'd just let the tire shop take care of it when you go in for a balance.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Do you have TPMS? That will cost a little more and will be more difficult to do yourself. I'd agree just take it in for a balancing and fix a flat.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:26 PM

2006 do not have tpms. Only 07-08. It wouldn't make a difference though as the sensor is mounted to the wheel at the 6 o'clock possition and far away (on a standard oe sized tire) from the area he'd be working on.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have a discount tire or Americas tire near you, they will plug your tire for free and they do it the good way where they plug it from the inside. They will also check all your tire pressures and rotate them for free if requested

Quick Reply: Wheel & Suspension Question