Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

whats this antenna for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats this antenna for?

So, I bought my 06 F150 SC Roush, and the dealer that sold it to me was a bit clueless. They didn't have the original keyfob for the keyless entry, so they gave me a new one. I programmed it myself, but I noticed an antenna inside the truck above the rear view mirror. Is it a remote starter? I took a pic of it with my phone, anyone know if it is and where the actual remote starter would be and/or how to program it to a button on my Ford fob?

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails whats this antenna for?-img00107.jpg  
Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

What does it say? It's a little blurry.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 PM

I just bought my FX4 on Saturday and it has one too. Its a range extending antenna for an aftermarket alarm system. If it has the brand on it, you should be able to get a new remote.
Fortunately I got all the remotes with mine, two Ford remotes and two Ungo alarm remotes.

Jon

edit- looks like it says XR Plus? I think that would be a Python system.

Last edited by PDX08FX4; 11-02-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX08FX4
I just bought my FX4 on Saturday and it has one too. Its a range extending antenna for an aftermarket alarm system. If it has the brand on it, you should be able to get a new remote.
Fortunately I got all the remotes with mine, two Ford remotes and two Ungo alarm remotes.

Jon

edit- looks like it says XR Plus? I think that would be a Python system.
I got lots of help on here, assisting me in finding mine was for a remote start.
Good luck! If you do find out it is from an alarm system, you can buy replacement remotes and have them re programmed to match your system.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

XR Plus is Directed's extended range antenna, so you either have an alarm or remote start. Directed makes Python, Clifford, and Viper, so you've probably got one of those. Try taking off the plastic trim piece under the steering column and see if you can see an aftermarket box with wires coming out of it. Also, look for a siren horn under the hood.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 PM

At lunch I went down to a local car stereo/alarm installer but they were closed. I'll get under there tonight at home and see what I can find. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM

I feel like a fool now. I opened the hood and I was looking to see if there was anything that remotely looked like a control unit, and right there on the fax guard is a sticker "DEI: Warning, this vehicle is equipped with a remote start blah blah blah"
So now I have to figure out if the old owner pulled it out before he traded it or if it's still there and buy new remotes.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Converted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveV
I feel like a fool now. I opened the hood and I was looking to see if there was anything that remotely looked like a control unit, and right there on the fax guard is a sticker "DEI: Warning, this vehicle is equipped with a remote start blah blah blah"
So now I have to figure out if the old owner pulled it out before he traded it or if it's still there and buy new remotes.
It would seem to me that it would be alot of work to pull out that remote start box and wiring, did you check under the dash, usually on top/behind the interior fuse block.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 PM

i have a viper system in mine and it has a similar antenna to this one but mine has an antenna sticking out each side of the antenna. mine has a 1 mile range (must be a clear line of sight to get any where close to 1 mile tho

Quick Reply: whats this antenna for?