Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What are you guys paying for plug changes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What are you guys paying for plug changes?

What are you guys paying for a plug change? Also what are you all replacing? Just plugs? Or other stuff too? I'm coming up on 100k in about a month or so and I'm wanting to go through my truck good.

I just called a dealership to ask how much for a plug change and they said $400-$500 as long as they don't break any plugs. And it's half an hour pay rate if they do break any. They said they do some carbon crap where they clean the throttle body and injectors and stuff. I can clean my own throttle body for a lot less than their $179.99. This reminds me of why I hate dealers...

I'm going to shop around a bit before I decide to do it myself. Just wanting to know what's a good price and what all you guys are getting changed. I feel confident Doing tube ups. Just not the plugs in the 3v's lol. Any of you guys in the charleston, WV area I could bribe with a case or two of beer?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Ford, much?

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I simply go buy the plugs and change them. I don't understand why anyone would buy a truck and not be able to change the plugs on it. A Prius maybe, but a big *** truck? Spray a LITTLE Deep Creep into the plug hole about 30 minutes before doing the job, drive the truck around the block just once so there is warmth in the intake to soften the metal, then get on it.

Hell I just did THIS so I know you can change a plug.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

My dad and I did mine. If you're concerned of breaking one buy the specialty tool for $80 and you'll still come out way ahead on the change. It's not as bad as everyone hypes it up to be.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM
2015 F-150 King Ranch 4x4

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

The modular engine sure isn't a pretty thing...
Old 07-02-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by one1
I simply go buy the plugs and change them. I don't understand why anyone would buy a truck and not be able to change the plugs on it. A Prius maybe, but a big *** truck? Spray a LITTLE Deep Creep into the plug hole about 30 minutes before doing the job, drive the truck around the block just once so there is warmth in the intake to soften the metal, then get on it.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined. i was told by a trusted mechanic to do the plugs in my 4.6L stone cold, and was specifically warned against doing them with any heat in the motor whatsoever.

HOWEVER:

The plugs in the 5.4L 3V can be a nightmare, hence the number of threads on the subject. Not everyone has the time or inclination to screw around with an engine for hours after something goes wrong.

The quote you got to change them seems a touch high, there have been people posting lately about $300 or so with a minor charge per broken plug.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once asked the dealer for their price. Team Ford in Las Vegas was the dealer. They wanted $480 for a plug change. Then, on top of that, $100 for every plug they break. Sound like a rip off? That's what I thought. It could cost over $1200 for a plug change from a "certified" mechanic. I called the Dodge dealership and it was $250 out the door.

I didn't have the time to do it so they did it for me. I have since done my own plugs and am now on my 4th set. No problems.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by one1

I hate to dog on a fellow Tennessean but dude, you don't have an F150.... at least from what I can tell from your pic, you're rocking a Stang and a Ranger. Neither of which are lifted... The 5.4 motor is tucked a good ways back in the engine bay, making the plugs and packs a bitch to get to, and don't even get me started how big a pain it is if the truck is lifted and has bigger tires....
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGDAWG78

I hate to dog on a fellow Tennessean but dude, you don't have an F150.... at least from what I can tell from your pic, you're rocking a Stang and a Ranger. Neither of which are lifted... The 5.4 motor is tucked a good ways back in the engine bay, making the plugs and packs a bitch to get to, and don't even get me started how big a pain it is if the truck is lifted and has bigger tires....
I did it on an 07 5.4 FX4 that is leveled. Granted its stock suspension and tire wise other than the level but its not too bad. Had the one behind the computer break off. Just pulled the computer and used the $80 tool. It came out way cheaper than sending it to ford.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have ever changed plugs on any other vehicle you should be able to do a 5.4 with minimal issues.

The way I look at it is, do your homework buy the fancy tool or barrow it from someone. Then try and tackle it.

If you break one or manage to change a few you can always get a quick tow to the dealer or if you have a friend with a trailer get a free tow. If you change at least 4 of them your self then you saved your self half of the cost.

These plugs are really no big deal good luck.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not saying it cant be done, bc obviously it can be. Mine is a bitch bc its 3 inch levelled, sitting on 35s and with the brush guard up front ----its a bitch getting in there. I'm 6'2" and I have to get up on a step stool to get in there to knock mine out. Its just a PITA...

Quick Reply: What are you guys paying for plug changes?