Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this part?

Newbie here and could use some help in identifying a particular part. Unfortunatly I do not have a pic of it.

So here goes.

I was installing a Groundforce lowering kit last night on a 2008 F-150 Lariat extended cab 4X4. Comming apart sweet, no problems, installed shims and then went to the drivers side to remove the stock shackle and that is when the problem started.

Bolted on top of the fame rail, right where you are suppose to slide the shackle bolt out to remove it, is a rubber mounted block of steel, (which was installed before the bed was installed) blocking the removal of the shackle bolt.

My questions are, has anybody ever seen one of this before and what is its function?

It is only on the drivers side.

I will probably have to sawall the bolts to remove it (I can force it up to allow some clearance between "it" and the top of the frame to snake a saw blade in there) as there is no way to access the bolts from above except for removing the bed. That will not be part of the plan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to get this project done today.

Ken
Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I would research it. I was thanking it has something to do with bed shaking.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:56 AM

u sure its not a bump stop? maybe you only have one because the other fell off
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i remember seeing this somewhere elso too. I think its a frame vib ration dampener. Not realyy needed but if you cut it off you might not have a smooth of a ride. Just take the bed off. Its like 2 or 3 wire connections and 6 bolts. All you need is anohter person to help lift it off. Can be done in like 10 minutes tops
Old 04-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by f150mashin559
u sure its not a bump stop? maybe you only have one because the other fell off
No, it is a damper of some sort and it is only on the drivers side. Swung by the local Ford store, the part shows on the fiche, but the parts guys didn't have a clue what it is for.
Said to call him Monday as he will check with Ford.

While I was there they had a couple of '09 F-150's. The stripper model didn't have this damper, while the screw FX4 did.

I just may lift the bed if it is really that easy.

Would like to know exactly what it does and why not all the trucks have it.

Ken

Quick Reply: What is this part?