Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What is causing this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
psychx.net

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default *SOLVED* What is causing this noise?

2006 f150 4x4 5.4

Recently I had a flat, so i pulled off to the side. It was a side road, so speed was fairly slow. I got back in the morning, jacked it up and got my spare on there. Afterwards, drove home and it seemed ok, then I drove to the store and it started making a horrible squealing noise. I turned around, and went back home. Since then, I have gotten a new tire so the original wheel is back on the truck. I also replaced my brake pads and brake calipers. When I went to replace the pads, I noticed one of the pistons were seized so I replaced both calipers on each side of the front. I just tested the truck and I still hear the noise, though it seems a lot quieter but still noticeable. I'll post a video of it below.

Could it be my wheel bearing?
I'm wondering if because I spin the wheel when it's in the air, and it has no load on it, I'm not hearing where the noise is coming from.

Side note, I heard a similar noise every now and then on what I thought was my driver front wheel (it would come and go randomly.) Never as loud or as long, but I'll be fixing both sides whatever the culprit ends up being. The noise seems to come and go based on where my steering wheel is turned. In this case, it seems like if I steer to the right at all, the noise goes away. Also, I noticed that the wheel bearing dust cap was missing on the side that is making the noise.

Listen closely to the 5 and 23 second mark, the noise is 100% happening there.

Last edited by psychx; 03-14-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem
Old 03-14-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I'm having a hard time hearing and distinguishing what the sound is. Try popping it in 4wd when it's making the noise and see if it goes away. That will tell you if it is an IWE problem which is very common. To check a wheel bearing jack it up and put your hands at 6 and 12 on the tire and push back and forth to see if the wheel rocks.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:00 AM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

is it that "whisshhh" sound I'm hearing every now and then? If so...it seems to do it upon acceleration and my mind goes to some form of vac issue within the IWE
Old 03-14-2018, 02:17 PM
psychx.net

I'll start looking into the IWE, I haven't given that a thought until now. I'll also jack it up and check the 6 and 12 vertical position movement.

The weird thing is, the sound seems to go away if I steer to the right. Any ideas on that?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM
psychx.net

Update:

I drove the truck in 2WD and noticed the sound starts around 25mph. I switched into 4Low (my 4High didn't seem to want to engage...) and drove around 30mph and there was no noise whatsoever. So, I'm going to assume the issue is somewhere in the IWE or vacuum system somewhere - I'll start checking that. Any tips are appreciated.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:17 PM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Yeah. If it went away in 4x4, then it's IWE related. Could be a vacuum leak.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:46 PM
psychx.net

i have vacuum in the line going to the solenoid, but no vacuum at the iwe.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by psychx
i have vacuum in the line going to the solenoid, but no vacuum at the iwe.
Did you check that with the truck in 4wd or 2wd? If 4wd, you shouldn't have any vacuum. If 2wd, you definitely have a leak somewhere or plugged line(s). Could be a failed check valve or solenoid or one or both IWEs.

Did you check to see if you get vacuum after the solenoid with the truck in 2wd? If so, what about after the check valve? If so, I'd inspect the lines between the check valve and the IWEs for leaks. If none, could be one of the IWEs.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM
psychx.net

You're right about that. With the truck in 2WD I had no vacuum at the IWE. I checked for vacuum at the solenoid and did have vacuum from the hose going into the solenoid (which is good.) I had the original in the vehicle, so I went up to the local auto parts store and bought the new model for ~$25. Replaced the solenoid and the noise was instantly gone/problem fixed. I did, however, think I heard the noise once after driving around but only for a split second - everything else seems fine.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by psychx
You're right about that. With the truck in 2WD I had no vacuum at the IWE. I checked for vacuum at the solenoid and did have vacuum from the hose going into the solenoid (which is good.) I had the original in the vehicle, so I went up to the local auto parts store and bought the new model for ~$25. Replaced the solenoid and the noise was instantly gone/problem fixed. I did, however, think I heard the noise once after driving around but only for a split second - everything else seems fine.

If you still get it intermittently, replace the check valve next. They have been known to work intermittently.

Quick Reply: What is causing this noise?