Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

water under the carpet

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water under the carpet

anyone else checked under the carpet of their trucks? i was running wire for my amp underneath the sill plates i believe they are called, but i pulled the carpet back on the passenger side and it was wet. i found the entry point, under the carpet is a hole about a half inch in diameter with a piece of cloth tape over it. it looks like something done from the factory. only problem is it hasnt rained in days and i hadnt washed the truck in a while either. so it just stays wet pretty much constantly. im going to figure out a way to keep it dry and see if there are other spots like that. you can see it from underneath the truck also. just letting people know what i found maybe it will save some problems down the line for others.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Being on the passenger side don't discount a problem with the heater core. Any odor associated with the wetness?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It sounds like the factory assembly line forgot to install a plug??? Is it a round hole (not one by a previous owner perhaps)? I've had several used vehicles in the past where previous owners have removed firewall plugs so that they could feed wiring or hose through; problem was always that they failed to re-seal the opening when they where done.

I'd look at another truck to see if this is particular to your truck only. I have a 2005 STX, and will check the floor area of my passenger side this week to see if this is the same. I'll post my findings as well. I cannot understand why Ford would have overlooked this hole in an area that is subject to water entry on purpose.

Another strong possibility is the air conditioning evaporator box which is located on the passenger side. About three weeks ago my wife and I took a trip on a hot summer day in Texas. The air conditioner was on, and about an hour or so into the trip, my wife commented that there was water on the floor. I have the STX model with rubber floor matting rather than carpet, so the water was very obvious. The next day I checked the ac drain tube, located on the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment. I used a long plastic tie wrap to insert up the tube to verify there was no blockage. I've always seen the "water puddle" when the truck was parked in a parking spot when shopping, so that was a good way to tell if the drain tube was blocked or not. If that tube is blocked, I can see why there would be a large wet spot on the passenger side if the AC is being used. Otherwise, it may be "sweat" from the AC evaporator box.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-23-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM

i havent noticed a smell. this has to be factory, i have seen this tape underneath the truck too from when iinstalled my steps. they used it to cover those holes too. as far as it being from the ac, i think i have used my ac 2 times since i got the truck in june.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 AM

hey dude hade the same problem in my 04 fx4. The cab back up lite on the top of the truck is a ****ty design the seal in it has worn so when ever it rains at collects it seep in and it collects in the tracks by the doors. i figured out after it was to late and the carpet started to mold. You can either get a new light and seal from the dealer. or take the cheap way like i did and seal with clear silicome. Havent had a problem since. My wife grandpa is a ford mech and he said they are always gettin those troble calls for this problem.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Check The heater box on passager side very bottom where it ties into the fire wall and push on casket around it and if you get any water thats your leak i used a strip caulk from 3M around it ( was not going to pull dash ) and it seams to be working . also check where the ele plug for door connects to A piler between hinges . I compleatly removed my interior carpet too and drove in buddles ,rain storms, and carwash trying to find . PS it takes a few min for the leak to start if you are running water on truck.
Good Luck.
Mike (SId 6377)
05 F150 Super Cab FX4
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have an '05 lariat, would this be the same for a water leak that i am having on the driver's side? I cannot figure out where it is coming from, but I have noticed that the a/c drain line is not dripping water now. I tried to fish a metal coat hanger up but no luck. Any ideas???
Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM

'04 FX4 SCREW. This happened in early '07. Had wet carpet on the driver side front. Pulled the sill plates, had water in the wiring channel. Probably 1/2" of it. Was still under factory warranty so I took it in to the dealer. They first re-sealed the third brake/cargo light. Still leaked. Then they found it was leaking around the rear power slider. Re-sealed that but it was still leaking. Said they were ordering a new back window for it. Had to leave at the dealer for 5+ weeks. Window was back-ordered. (At the same time they were checking out the vibration in the rear end. Went to put in the repair kit for the limited slip (TSB) and found the differential bearing races were spinning in the housing. New rear housing was back-ordered too). Got the truck back and the new slider leaked around the sliding panel when I rinsed it with a garden hose. Service writer tried to tell me it was acceptable! Asked my salesman (had just bought a new Fusion for my wife) if I should expect that leak, he said no so I sicked him on the service department. Another new slider was ordered.
Fast forward to now. Carpet on passenger side is wet, condensation on inside of windows in morning.... Where is it leaking now? Third brake light? Rear window? A-pillar? Aaarrrrggggghhh!

Extended warranty does not cover water leaks.

Quick Reply: water under the carpet