Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Vibration Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vibration Frustration

Hey guys new member to the forum but used it many times to solve other problems.

I have a 2007 4.6 RWD that just turned the 200k mark over the weekend. I personally put 150K miles on it.

The truck has been very good to me but very much neglected it since I have a spare car so I stopped driving it. My truck seems to take every small bump very hard and even smooth payment it still vibrates through the steering wheel. I've changed so many parts over the last month its messing with my head because the vibrations seem to be coming from rear end one day then the front the next. I do experience the yoke bump in the driveshaft but still convinced the vibrations are suspension related.

Things I've done over past month (Tires are about 4 months old)

All 4 rotors
All new pads and two new calipers for front
Rear bearings and seals
Tie rod ends, upper control arms, lower ball joints, sway bar links
Front struts and rear shocks

Any other ideas? Its hard pulling to the right now but makes since due to changing suspension parts but also looks like the passenger side sits lower.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Thoughts (possibilities)...
IWE vacuum line failure (or inadvertent breakage during the repairs you did)
Sticking caliper
Strut failure / manufacturer defect
Loose strut mount
Broken coil spring(s)

Questions...
At what speeds does it vibrate, if you have road vibration?
Have you removed the parking brake shoes to rule those out?
Did you do an alignment after the struts and ball joints / control arms were replaced?
Was EVERYTHING torqued to spec?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. 1) Vibrations are rough sometimes clunky at very low speeds and smooth out at higher speeds but still experience at all speeds. 2) That was actually my next plan, good idea. 3) I have not yet but I do not drive it very far and have a spare car so I has hoping to get problems resolved so I don't have to get it aligned several times. 4) For the most part I believe so, I cant remember If I did everything at spec because it starting raining at some points and I sped up and could have missed it. I did not buy new spindle nuts yet in case I have to take rotor off again.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts
Default frustrations

I would definitely be doing an immediate alignment...especially after you correct or are happy with the way it sits..... 1st re: ride height...chk frt springs for broken etc. If you also put new springs in with the struts simple little trick grab about 4 open end wrenches starting @ about 11/16/3/4/13/16 & finally 7/8 slide a wrench over the front coil springs till u get a snug fit, then chk. the other side with that wrench....If it slides over the same...they should be a match....If that chks out & nothing broken check that when you installed each spring that they were installed them correctly (in the grooves properly) ..if they weren't that's probably where your clanking & banging is coming from/rough ride etc. Vibration well that's a deep subject with 07/08 all over these forums.....But with 200k do not rule out driveshaft...especially 2-piece shafts...@ 200 k you probably need U-joints & drive shaft balance...if it's a 2 piece shaft double chk. the hanger bearing (rubber separates from housing & bearing) & it is not replaceable on these trucks...What you need now is a new driveshaft...I had mine built with spicer joints etc (name brand) any built shaft is better than original as it is better quality & cheaper than dealer & you can now replace all bearings etc. when they do wear out ....