Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Which upper control arm with level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Which upper control arm with level?

SO I installed a level on my truck about 2 years ago. The dealership replaced my UCA's right before I bought the truck, and 2 months before I did the level. Have been having some noise up front when I go over speed bumps. While doing a brake job today, I noticed the boots on my upper ball joints are torn. So now I need new ones and am going to replace the entire control arm.

I now plan to replace the UCA's with at least Moog's that have a grease able fitting. But I have been looking at some of the upgrade UCA's like the ICON's and Camburgs. These correct the angles and use better ball joints. Are these worth the extra cost? DO they last that much longer than the stock UCA's or the Moog's. Just don't want to have to replace them every couple of years. I may add a 4" lift later, and I know that will correct the angles, but that's a ways down the line since we are looking to buy a house soon.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
SO I installed a level on my truck about 2 years ago. The dealership replaced my UCA's right before I bought the truck, and 2 months before I did the level. Have been having some noise up front when I go over speed bumps. While doing a brake job today, I noticed the boots on my upper ball joints are torn. So now I need new ones and am going to replace the entire control arm.

I now plan to replace the UCA's with at least Moog's that have a grease able fitting. But I have been looking at some of the upgrade UCA's like the ICON's and Camburgs. These correct the angles and use better ball joints. Are these worth the extra cost? DO they last that much longer than the stock UCA's or the Moog's. Just don't want to have to replace them every couple of years. I may add a 4" lift later, and I know that will correct the angles, but that's a ways down the line since we are looking to buy a house soon.
Good thing you plan on replacing the whole arm. Ford's upper ball joints on these are non serviceable or replaceable. Its the whole arm or nothing. That said, I have Moog problem solvers on mine, which are essentially designed to eliminate excessive wear from goofy angles on the ball joints. I've not seen any reason to think they aren't sufficient, and they keep the same profile as the OEM ones, which is good cause bigger struts, or tires will run into the camburg and similar control arms if you aren't careful. Just my .02
Old 12-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by USRanger379
Good thing you plan on replacing the whole arm. Ford's upper ball joints on these are non serviceable or replaceable. Its the whole arm or nothing. That said, I have Moog problem solvers on mine, which are essentially designed to eliminate excessive wear from goofy angles on the ball joints. I've not seen any reason to think they aren't sufficient, and they keep the same profile as the OEM ones, which is good cause bigger struts, or tires will run into the camburg and similar control arms if you aren't careful. Just my .02
Haven't change the strut size, but do run bigger tires. I have 285/55/20's now, and may get 275/60/20's next time.

Moogs were way cheaper than the others as well. I'll look at them more closely
Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Haven't change the strut size, but do run bigger tires. I have 285/55/20's now, and may get 275/60/20's next time.

Moogs were way cheaper than the others as well. I'll look at them more closely
anything less than 11.5” wide with a good back spacing shouldn’t rub on bigger control arms but I’ve heard of some examples of it rubbing as well.

The main thing with the Camburg and similar arms is the uniball ball joint, but the problem solvers accomplish sort of the same thing. So unless you’re constantly thrashing the thing and need every millimeter of travel, and don’t have your sway bar, I don’t really see gaining much vs moog’s
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by USRanger379
anything less than 11.5” wide with a good back spacing shouldn’t rub on bigger control arms but I’ve heard of some examples of it rubbing as well.

The main thing with the Camburg and similar arms is the uniball ball joint, but the problem solvers accomplish sort of the same thing. So unless you’re constantly thrashing the thing and need every millimeter of travel, and don’t have your sway bar, I don’t really see gaining much vs moog’s
I take the truck off road, but nothing crazy. I do take it on farm roads a lot which can get pretty bad from all the big equipment, but it's not like I'm rock crawling with it. I mainly want something that'll last a bit longer. These lasted about 40K miles, which I did in under 2 years. Rather not have to change them that often. If the Moog's last longer, I may give them a try. They are about 1/2 the price of the other, if not 1/4 the price of some.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM

I take the truck off road, but nothing crazy. I do take it on farm roads a lot which can get pretty bad from all the big equipment, but it's not like I'm rock crawling with it. I mainly want something that'll last a bit longer. These lasted about 40K miles, which I did in under 2 years. Rather not have to change them that often. If the Moog's last longer, I may give them a try. They are about 1/2 the price of the other, if not 1/4 the price of some.
i have no reason to believe they won’t out last the oem ones. Especially since you can keep the joints greased. Only time will tell unfortunately. Only got 3k on mine. Coworker said he ran his moogs for 60k miles. I’d be happy with that personally. New arms with new tires lol
The following users liked this post:
tuflehundon (12-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Which upper control arm with level?