Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ujoint question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ujoint question

How do you figure out which ujoint to get ? When I type in my info 2 show up, one is the 1.88 inch cap. I have a 2008 xlt 4wd and need the rear ujoint. Thanks
Old 08-12-2023, 06:59 PM

Received 1,172 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen05
How do you figure out which ujoint to get ? When I type in my info 2 show up, one is the 1.88 inch cap. I have a 2008 xlt 4wd and need the rear ujoint. Thanks
did you sort/select for: front vs rear, and how many piece driveshaft you have ?
Old 08-12-2023, 07:16 PM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Not sure about the 2008, but the 2004 has non-greasable, non-removable U-joints, or at least not the type you can remove like the old days. Maybe this is why you can't find a parts listing for them? The joints are permanently staked in or something to that effect (no C-clips). I looked this up some time ago for preventative maintenance. I wanted to install new greasable joints. Unfortunately I either need a drive line shop to do them or buy a whole new shaft (Thanks Ford engineers).

If you want to keep your original drive line, a shop has to do something to it to make the joints removable (cut them out or something, I don't recall). Or buy a new drive line - which of course is what Ford wants us to do. How dare we fix our trucks cheaper!

Maybe your 2008 is different and you can remove them. Good luck and let us know!

Last edited by stankyjeans; 08-12-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by stankyjeans
Not sure about the 2008, but the 2004 has non-greasable, non-removable U-joints, or at least not the type you can remove like the old days. Maybe this is why you can't find a parts listing for them? The joints are permanently staked in or something to that effect (no C-clips). I looked this up some time ago for preventative maintenance. I wanted to install new greasable joints. Unfortunately I either need a drive line shop to do them or buy a whole new shaft (Thanks Ford engineers).

If you want to keep your original drive line, a shop has to do something to it to make the joints removable (cut them out or something, I don't recall). Or buy a new drive line - which of course is what Ford wants us to do. How dare we fix our trucks cheaper!

Maybe your 2008 is different and you can remove them. Good luck and let us know!
I changed the rear ujoint (by rear axle / pinion). You can buy sealed or grease me replacements. There are tons of videos on ‘how to’ / diy.

im not by my records now to look at part number, but if you know which ujoint you want to replace and the type of driveshaft you have, there should not be a dilemma on part selection. Regardless though, part cost is cheap, just buy both and return unused one if you are unsure.

To anyone about to do this, search up on greasing slip yoke before you start. Very easy to do if/when removing driveshaft.
The following users liked this post:
stankyjeans (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 08:09 PM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by laterongc
I changed the rear ujoint (by rear axle / pinion). You can buy sealed or grease me replacements. There are tons of videos on ‘how to’ / diy.

im not by my records now to look at part number, but if you know which ujoint you want to replace and the type of driveshaft you have, there should not be a dilemma on part selection. Regardless though, part cost is cheap, just buy both and return unused one if you are unsure.

To anyone about to do this, search up on greasing slip yoke before you start. Very easy to do if/when removing driveshaft.
Thanks for the heads up! It's been several years since I was looking at U-joint replacement and put it on the back burner after I learned about them being staked in. Sounds like I wasn't the only one who was annoyed about that and found a workaround. That's great news and I'll definitely look into it again. My drive line is approaching 190,000 original miles so the 'ol girl has earned new joints!

Old 08-12-2023, 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone, I tried another site and I have it all sorted out now. It seems like
a fairly easy job so I’m going to tackle it myself.
The following users liked this post:
stankyjeans (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 08:18 PM

Thanks everyone, I tried another site and I have it all sorted out now. It seems like
a fairly easy job so I’m going to tackle it myself.
its been ~ 4 years, so don’t remember all the details but you’ll get the gist by watching YouTube’s: do slip yoke, remember to premark for balance, chok tires / be safe. If doing solo and haven’t ever pulled a driveshaft, be ready for the weight, they are heavy. And, be careful how you orient the zerk (if greasable), or you may need to grease using needle (don’t ask how I learned that).
Old 08-19-2023, 12:58 PM

its been ~ 4 years, so don’t remember all the details but you’ll get the gist by watching YouTube’s: do slip yoke, remember to premark for balance, chok tires / be safe. If doing solo and haven’t ever pulled a driveshaft, be ready for the weight, they are heavy. And, be careful how you orient the zerk (if greasable), or you may need to grease using needle (don’t ask how I learned that).
so I should put some new grease on the slip yoke? All the YouTube videos were showing the newer fords so just wanted to make sure it’s a good idea for the 08 also , thanks
Old 08-19-2023, 01:29 PM

so I should put some new grease on the slip yoke? All the YouTube videos were showing the newer fords so just wanted to make sure it’s a good idea for the 08 also , thanks
Old 08-19-2023, 01:56 PM

thanks for the quick reply , appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Ujoint question