Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck won't start. Any ideas ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start. Any ideas ?

Used my truck today, and it worked fine. After I shut it off, and tried to start it again, it won't crank. I can hear what sounds to be a relay clicking when I try to start it, but it won't crank, and there doesn't seem to be a load on the battery when I try to start it. Tried starting it in Neutral, thinking it may be my safety switch, but no joy. I am thinking it may be my starter, and was wondering if anyone else had the same issue.
('05 f150 4.6L xlt auto)
Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried another key? What is the security light on top of the dash doing when you turn the key on?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 AM

I haven't tried the other key, and I didn't take notice to the light, but I will try it. when I tried to start it, it cranked a little but not enough to start, it only turned over once, but didn't start. I tried again, and it wouldn't even crank.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 AM

Tried the other key, and still no joy. The light on the dash goes from blinking, to on steady, and then off. I also noticed that when I try to start it, the display goes out on the radio, and my lights for my power window switches go out, until I release the key from the crank position. I can also hear the starter drive gear meshing to the flexplate, but the starter won't turn over. I am thinking that my starter is packing it in, unless there is something funky going on with an electrical component.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Mods are Addictive

Ford was always good for putting two solenoids in the starter circuit, both have to work in order for the starter to engage. Assuming all connections are in good shape and corosion free:

You can check to see if your getting signal to the starter by checking for 12v.+ at the small wire on the starter while someone holds the key in the 'start' position. The large wire is constant battery voltage. Be sure not to cross the big and small terminals on the solenoid with any metal or a ring or the starter will (may) crank no matter what position the gear selector is in (keep it in neutral with the parking brake set).

If you have power at the small wire when the key is in the 'start' position, and the battery is known to be good, take the starter off to be bench tested at your local auto parts store.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Personal experience......

The PATS light being on steady may very well be rapid flashing, indicating an issue with the PATS.

In my case it was a fried computer, (among other things, but there's already a thread about that) which was the first item Ford acutally covered under warranty.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need a new battery?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
This picture scares you

Originally Posted by tygr1
You need a new battery?

x2...

Jump start that thing and I bet it will run...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with jumping. My brother in laws keep just did that a few weeks ago. He was putting gas in, went to turn it on and nothing. Towed it home and thenext morning we got some cables, at first nothing happened which made us think it want the battery but we. let it just sit there for a few minutes then it turned over just fine
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it did try to crank once, it's probably in the start circuit. Battery, connections solenoid or starter. The light staying on then going off shows it's doubtful that it's in the PATS.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start. Any ideas ?