Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck stalled !

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalled !

Hello everyone
Well I am new here so any info will be great . I hope other people have had this same issue. I have a 2004 f150 extra cab 5.4 with 98,000mi
I was on the interstate going 75 with the cruise on and the engine just shut off ! I still had dash lights and all. I pulled it over to the shoulder tried to start it a few times,it turned over but would not start. So I made a call to see who could come get me.While I was waiting I tried it again and it slowly got going and started ! I didn't waste much time to get back on the road ! LOL I drove 10 plus miles home and have been back to and from work a few time with no problems ? Could it be a bad FPM ? Before I buy one I would like to see if this is what it sounds like to all of you guys (and Gals) Again thanks for any and all help . Troy

Last edited by Flttracker; 01-08-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM
KCCO

I had something similar happen to my 07 5.4, it was the fuel pump and a sensor. $400 later it's back on the road.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When did you last replace the fuel filter?

I had a similar problem years ago and a new filter fixed it! Cheaper and easier too.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys,Im hoping its not the pump:-)I bought the truck last May So I am not sure on the fuel filter but I bought one lastnight and will try that. my next step will most likely br the fpcm ($100) If anybody has had that fix there problem let me know :-) So far the truck has not acted up again :-) If it does I hope im in my driveway ! LOL
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flttracker
Hello everyone
Well I am new here so any info will be great . I hope other people have had this same issue. I have a 2004 f150 extra cab 5.4 with 98,000mi
I was on the interstate going 75 with the cruise on and the engine just shut off ! I still had dash lights and all. I pulled it over to the shoulder tried to start it a few times,it turned over but would not start. So I made a call to see who could come get me.While I was waiting I tried it again and it slowly got going and started ! I didn't waste much time to get back on the road ! LOL I drove 10 plus miles home and have been back to and from work a few time with no problems ? Could it be a bad FPM ? Before I buy one I would like to see if this is what it sounds like to all of you guys (and Gals) Again thanks for any and all help . Troy
Had a very similar issue on my 2010. Driving along, minding my own business, when all of a sudden the fuel gauge starts dinging and saying "38 miles to Empty." Less than a minute later, it's down to "4 miles to empty." I'm able to get off the highway and as I'm nearing the gas station the truck dies. After trying to restart it for about a minute, it finally starts up and I'm able to get to the gas station. Fuel gauge wouldn't reach "Full" even when I knew that I put enough gas in there to make it full.

Turns out a valve in the fuel pump gave out so the gas tank couldn't equalize pressure. Fuel tank (being plastic) imploded a little bit due to the pressure build up and damaged the fuel pump sensor. I was lucky - my extended warranty and factory powertrain warranty covered all but $100 deductible. But like Mung said, I believe it would've cost somewhere around $4-500.

Quick Reply: Truck stalled !