Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck "catches" when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Truck "catches" when accelerating

Here's the rundown:

-2005 Lariat 5.4, 4x4

-Tires: 315/70/17 BFG AT

Problem: When accelerating from rest, at around 10-30 mph the truck will sometimes jump. One way I could describe it is like driving a manual; you're driving, pull in the clutch, then the initial pull or "catch" that you feel once you release the clutch is what I'm experiencing.

It only happens when I'm accelerating from rest. I've done some research and I'm hoping that it's not my gearing. Since I have zero mechanical experience with anything but a motorcycle I'm looking for some advice on what I should do next...

Thanks in advanced for any help
Old 12-27-2011, 10:16 PM

anyone?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is exactly what mine is doing. Only from a stop and it feels like a clutch is pushed in, released, pushed in, released until it gets going. In my case it's definitely transmission.

Most transmission places I called have free estimates/diagnostics. I'll take mine thurs. or fri. so will post up what they say. Best price I have found on installation of a rebuilt tranny near Atlanta Ga is around the $1,600 mark at several places. Post up what they say if you get yours checked out!

I am no mechanic by a long shot but was told it could even be clutch packs possibly? I heard if that's the case most shops just rebuild the whole thing because they have to drop the tranny. Was also told it could be something simple like a fluid or electrical issue. I'm just getting it diagnosed and going from there.

A friend of mine and I just swapped the tranny in his rx8 and it was pretty easy. Read its fairly easy on this truck. Thinking about DIY to save cash!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Jesus saves.Just ask Him!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be willing to bet money its not your transmission. Like nearly every person on the '04-'08 forum, its probably the COP on the stark plug. you probably have one that has gone bad causing that piston to misfire making it seem like the truck has a transmission problem but its more than likely not a transmission problem. Check out the sticky on the COP and spark plug issues with our trucks. .....just a thought.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the response's guys!

I'll read up on the COP and go from there. If I end up taking it to a shop I'll report back to see if I have the same deal as you gcwaterski
Old 12-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Sounds good, I really hope it's just the COP- that'd be great.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM

I got in my truck last Wed. to move it and it didn't replicate the previously mentioned issue my passenger and I both experienced. So I drove it around a little and no issue. Drove it to work- no issue. 400 miles later no issue. I'm confused. Guess I'm gonna take it in for a checkup anyhow b/c it was a PITA not knowing if I'd make it home that night. But wtf. Any update with you?

Quick Reply: Truck "catches" when accelerating