Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trouble after running low on fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble after running low on fuel.

Hi all, first post, I’ve browsed but found nothing really matching my scenario, just looking for ideas on where to start with this so thanks in advance.

2006 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 with 104,000 miles. Truck has been running perfectly, within last 6 months have had all plugs changed, pssanger side manifold, and full fuel system clean done by Ford dealer. Also replaced air and fuel filter.

So so while running late for a work meeting the other morning I ran it nearly dry on fuel, to the point of stumbling into the gas station after my meeting. On startup after filling the tank it was running rough at idle, on the drive home it still was running rough at low rpm, but seemed to clear up under load and at higher rpm. Nearly home the check engine came on, too it to Autozone for code read and came back with P0172, P0300, and P0301. I looked them up and found they are system too rich bank 1, misfire cylinder 1, and random misfire.

I put put in some Royale Purple fuel system cleaner thinking that running low on fuel maybe picked up some crud from the bottom of the tank and drove it for a short while. Starting up this morning it started hard (3-5 seconds), blackish smoke and strong fuel smell. Same rough idle seeming to clear under load.

Could a stuck open fuel injector cause this, or more than one? Is that likely the issue, crud from the bottom of the tank? What about a fuel pump problem, I’ve seen these returnless line models have fuel press regulated buy voltage to the pump, if the pump overheated could it be stuck on full pressure? I will have time for more diagnosis this weekend, but this is where I’m at now, looking for ideas from experience, thanks!

If there are mistakes blame my phone.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RedWingsHockey
Hi all, first post, I’ve browsed but found nothing really matching my scenario, just looking for ideas on where to start with this so thanks in advance.

2006 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 with 104,000 miles. Truck has been running perfectly, within last 6 months have had all plugs changed, pssanger side manifold, and full fuel system clean done by Ford dealer. Also replaced air and fuel filter.

So so while running late for a work meeting the other morning I ran it nearly dry on fuel, to the point of stumbling into the gas station after my meeting. On startup after filling the tank it was running rough at idle, on the drive home it still was running rough at low rpm, but seemed to clear up under load and at higher rpm. Nearly home the check engine came on, too it to Autozone for code read and came back with P0172, P0300, and P0301. I looked them up and found they are system too rich bank 1, misfire cylinder 1, and random misfire.

I put put in some Royale Purple fuel system cleaner thinking that running low on fuel maybe picked up some crud from the bottom of the tank and drove it for a short while. Starting up this morning it started hard (3-5 seconds), blackish smoke and strong fuel smell. Same rough idle seeming to clear under load.

Could a stuck open fuel injector cause this, or more than one? Is that likely the issue, crud from the bottom of the tank? What about a fuel pump problem, I’ve seen these returnless line models have fuel press regulated buy voltage to the pump, if the pump overheated could it be stuck on full pressure? I will have time for more diagnosis this weekend, but this is where I’m at now, looking for ideas from experience, thanks!

If there are mistakes blame my phone.
could be a bad coil on number 1. Have you checked your fuel ump driver module under the spare tire. It gets rusty and causes start/rough idle issues
Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy J
could be a bad coil on number 1. Have you checked your fuel ump driver module under the spare tire. It gets rusty and causes start/rough idle issues
Because this issue started at the time of running it nearly empty on fuel I figure it must be directly related to that?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Could be, but there's just as good a chance that it's purely coincidental.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Pull #1 plug and take a look... have another ready to replace it.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 PM

Because this issue started at the time of running it nearly empty on fuel I figure it must be directly related to that?
That's like the doctor telling you your x ray shows a broken leg and you say but I was eating an orange when it happened. It may be related to the low fuel or not. It really doesn't matter at this point. Number 1 is one of the most accessible plugs/coils. your code tells you there is an issue with it. At least look at it or replace it as suggested. You are also assuming the tank has crud in it. Most don't and even when low you still have a gallon or 2 in there. good luck
Old 06-21-2018, 03:19 PM

By the way, check your fuel pressure control module under the spare anyway. It may leave you stranded one day too
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy J
That's like the doctor telling you your x ray shows a broken leg and you say but I was eating an orange when it happened. It may be related to the low fuel or not. It really doesn't matter at this point. Number 1 is one of the most accessible plugs/coils. your code tells you there is an issue with it. At least look at it or replace it as suggested. You are also assuming the tank has crud in it. Most don't and even when low you still have a gallon or 2 in there. good luck
I see that logic, I just have a feeling it has to be related, it was running perfectly and this started literally as it was running out of fuel. The reserve was spent, I have a 26 gallon tank and when I fueled up after pulling in stuttering on fumes it took 25.8 gallons until the pump clicked off. I haven’t had time to dig further, I will certainly check cylinder 1, but it also seems like it is getting way too much fuel for it to be just one faulty plug...it wreaks of fuel and has gone through almost 1/4 tank of fuel in only 38 miles....when I saw that I’m stopping even the short drive to work until I have time to figure this out
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 PM

I see that logic, I just have a feeling it has to be related, it was running perfectly and this started literally as it was running out of fuel. The reserve was spent, I have a 26 gallon tank and when I fueled up after pulling in stuttering on fumes it took 25.8 gallons until the pump clicked off. I haven’t had time to dig further, I will certainly check cylinder 1, but it also seems like it is getting way too much fuel for it to be just one faulty plug...it wreaks of fuel and has gone through almost 1/4 tank of fuel in only 38 miles....when I saw that I’m stopping even the short drive to work until I have time to figure this out
Its also possible that plug or a plug backed out a little. I had an extreme smell of gas after replacing my plugs and even though I swore I tightened them when I re checked them one was loose. the only downside is that I don't know if there is a way to pinpoint a clogged fuel injector other than taking them all out and have them professionally cleaned. I would still check the fpcm under the spare even though it doesn't emit gas smell when its bad. maybe an injector is stuck open
Old 06-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Check/replace any worn plugs. While you're at it, get a bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner and run a tank of that to remove the possibility of a sticky injector. Before you actually start the truck, do you hear the fuel pump priming normally? Running low on fuel can burn up pumps, since the gas cools and also lubes the pump.

Quick Reply: Trouble after running low on fuel.