Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

transmissions issues question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmissions issues question

Well, I bought a used f150 with 80000miles on it. i took it to the dealership (not where i bought it from) for a transmission pan drop, fluid change, etc... They just called me back to tell me I have a river of metal and it looks horrible in the pan. He says my tranny will go out at any minute.

Now my question is:

I have a crappy mechnicinal drivetrain warranty.
The dealership says i have 2 options. just do a tranny swap with a ford rebuild tranny for 2500 and pay out of pocket. or have the warranty people come in, do a tear down, then have them maybe not cover the issue. If they tear it down and its not covered then i have to pay for a tranny and a tear down.

what do you guys think i should do?

**UPDATE**
Need your opinion on this.
So its been a week later now. The dealer tore down my tranny and the warranty guys paid them a visit to check out the situation. He decided that they will honor the issue under the warranty. BUT....They now say, after the teardown, that the tranny is good. The issue is that the Torque Converted is shot and some seals went out. So they are currently replacing the torque converter.
Does this sound right to you guys? Thanks

thanks

Last edited by Sontan; 06-03-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

How does your warranty read? What are they going to find in a teardown that would void it?

Sounds like someone is trying to make a sale to me (at your expense).
Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
How does your warranty read? What are they going to find in a teardown that would void it?

Sounds like someone is trying to make a sale to me (at your expense).

the tear down will cost me an extra 250 if its not covered. The ford guy said they always deal with that company and it has a high possibility of being covered so I told them to do the tear down and inform the warranty co. *crosses my fingers*

not sure exactly how my warranty reads since the paperwork is in my truck right now lol
Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

you will end up paying!!!! You should tell them that it is absolutly unexeptable that a truck that they JUST SOLD YOU should be fine and checked before being sold. Therefore they are at fault and that if they dont cover you, you will take them to court
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by StonedGreen
you will end up paying!!!! You should tell them that it is absolutly unexeptable that a truck that they JUST SOLD YOU should be fine and checked before being sold. Therefore they are at fault and that if they dont cover you, you will take them to court
Re-read the post. It is not the dealership where he bought the truck from.

It does sound to me like they may not like working with this warrantee company though.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah...you have to watch out for those warranty companies. Go ahead, ask me how I know.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM

I bought it from a chevy dealership and i'd rather not have chevy guys working on my ford. I bought the truck in october and the tanny seems to even now work fine so i had no indication that i was in for some trouble. It came with a 30 day warranty from where i bought it but thats long gone so now im relying on the extended aftermarket warranty i bought.

Quick Reply: transmissions issues question