Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Problem from trailer lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transmission Problem from trailer lights?

Ok so I'm posting this for a friend of mine. He owns a 06 5.4 2wd and has had a problem for a while where when his truck is shifting from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 it jolts the truck and knocks real hard. So he's been driving around in 2nd since it doesn't do it when it's in 2nd.

He took his truck in to a shop yesterday and it took them all day to figure out the transmission is done but they say it's because whenever he tows and hooks the trailer lights up it tells the truck to go into a certain mode (I've never heard of this so I thinks it's bull******) and they think when he unplugged the trailer once it kept it in that "mode" so he's been in it during daily driving which has screwed up the transmission.

Long story short my question is does the trailer lights really put the truck in a tow mode or something? I think they are just a bunch of idiots but idk. I feel like if that was the case then some aftermarket led light bars would put your truck in that "mode" 24/7.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No because all these guys that run tailgate led lights use that to plug into and all kinds of other stuff. The only thing he should do is take the o/d off when towing for future reference
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya that's what I was thinking. I'm just wondering why the mechanics would say that

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem from trailer lights?