Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission pan and valve body removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lost Overdrive -Solved --Transmission pan and valve body removal?

I have diagnosed that I have symptoms of the O/D snap ring failure and preparing to tackle it this weekend. I have researched lots of posts here and watched YouTube videos making me want to try this myself. I've dropped my pan and changed filter twice on this 2004 F150 5.4 so getting it opened doesn't concern me. But I've never touched an AT valve body or those parts above the filter.

Is there a video that I haven't found yet or a step by step guide to getting the valve body off the transmission so I can assess if it's snap ring? I've watched Moldie , Fordtechmakuloco, Greg's garage, etc... videos but they all go from pan drop to showing the valve body on a bench. What I'm needing help with is what steps to get all parts off valve body and it then removed. Thanks.

Last edited by ROBinGa; 07-29-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Issue resolved and update
Old 07-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

The last one I removed ..E4OD just un bolted it and it dropped down if I remember correctly.. was awhile ago. keep it level because there are lots of little parts in it.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Its also been a few years since I done mine but like already stated just unbolt and it falls down, one thing I will add be ready for more trans fluid coming out, and refill was 2-3 more quarts over a filter change so have some extra. It wasnt a real bad job, the servo spring is beefy so make sure you have it corralled and if it is removed make sure its back in the band when reinstalling and if you have read some on the issue, youll also see the possibility the servo clip can break the one in the middle of the servo and the metal plate between the trans housing and valve body could be cracked.......just a heads up.....take your time watch where things come from and its a easy job for the most part.

Last edited by who_knos; 07-11-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm big on writing out all the steps in order on projects like this so I may be posting that list soon for scrutiny if no one already knows of one or a video walk through to pint me to. I did an intake manifold replacement on my 2003 Explorer 4.6 and once I planned it and wrote each step I was able to do it successfully and just as planned, so I want to use same approach here. If anyone else has reference tips I will gladly factor those in too. Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM

Just found the "J Mod" video and hit the jackpot. I now understand the order and how to take the valve body apart. I'm ready to tackle this now!!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBinGa
Just found the "J Mod" video and hit the jackpot. I now understand the order and how to take the valve body apart. I'm ready to tackle this now!!
Will you post a link to the J Mod video for future reference?
Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 08:00 AM

Yes here it is. Even though the subject trans is from Crown Vic it's same procedure and components. He shows every step and explains small details for someone who has never been inside a Ford tranny

EDIT - I am not advocating doing the mods shown here in the video. Only use it for reference to show how to tear down valve body and reassemble everything. I skipped over all the mods including the removal on the 1st gear spring. I did not do any drilling or change anything except broken Ford parts

Last edited by ROBinGa; 07-29-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 PM

Got my retaining clip, my two gasket sheets, filter and 10 quarts of Mercon V from dealer today and excited about tackling this over the weekend. I sure hope I see broken pieces of clip right away or I'm going to be disappointed. I must say the 5 quarts jug of Motorcraft Mercon V at dealer for $29 is a great deal compared with retail aftermarket Merc V prices.

Last edited by ROBinGa; 07-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck. Keep us updated
Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM

So I removed valve body and as the last bolt was removed I felt a lot of pressure pushing down and sure enough the OD servo piston and pin and spring came out with it. My large c clip had broken in 8 total pieces allowing servo piston to bang into the cover plate on valve body and actually knocked a decent chunk of it so there is a hole in that reinforcement plate. The Eclip also broke allowing the pin to travel and make that hole.

I found all pieces of the e clip and c clip. What I did was trace the outline of new c clip on sheet of paper and then I could place all the pieces into the outline until I could see a completed shape with broken pieces. The eclip was only in 4 pieces so it was obvious as I laid it out. I did find one small piece inside the valve body in a galley of a spool valve and it would have stopped that spool valve had I not found and removed it. So you do need to take off separator plate and inspect everything for metal pieces.

My OD servo has lots of scratches on it where it banged into the 4 bolt heads of the reinforcement plate and I feel I need to replace it. Plus couldn't find just the e clip. My Ford dealer says no one local has the servo or reinforcement plate in stock so it will be next Thursday until they get them in. I could order online from Ford Parts Giant or others but about same shipping time. So I'm letting my dealer get them for me. They've been good to me over years.

So I do feel better knowing exactly why my trans started missing OD suddenly. Hopefully when I reinstall the new parts I get OD again. I don't think entire trans is shot.

I found the following video which shows what occurs as you have to move the OD band in place to engage the servo pin and it's helpful to me to visualize for when I have to do this in my case. This is necessary anytime the servo pin is removed at all if the c clip has allowed it to come down

Last edited by ROBinGa; 07-22-2017 at 04:17 PM.