Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans or torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans or torque converter?

Hi all. I'm a newbie here, but not to pickup trucks. Computers are the confusing thing about new trucks. Heres my problem. I have a 2007 f-150 5.4 4x4 automatic trans. Problem started about 3 months ago. I noticed the trans. shifting roughly when in od and applying power to pass or pick up a hill. after having several mechanics check it out. they all said transmission is shot. One of these was a Ford garage. Not being made of bucks. i started to check pricing. rebuilt with new torque converter ranged from 1600.00 to 4700.00. this was junk yard to new Ford installed. I went with a major rebuilder trans. and had this installed for 2800.00. I get it back and it is doing the same thing. Installer was lost for reasons. I have spoke with many people since this started, now I hear about a computer flash that will do the fix. My input to this is that that rough shift I get is not the transmission but the torque converter not dropping out but trying to lock and unlock. Now my questions are: what is talking to the computer to make the converter unlock? is there a control that locks the converter. what tells it to lock and unlock? will a computer flash do the trick?
I'll thank all of you for your input on this. God bless
Fishhead1
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

have the dealer do a check and see if there is an updated flash for your truck. what was the mileage on the old trans? it could have ben a bad sensor and not transmission. was there a check engine light?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply to jbhill

Local dealer said no new flashes. mileage was 110,800. Dealer is not sure if factory flash would help. all sensors were supposed to have been replaced with the trans.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Trans woes

Welcome to the forum. You failed to mention if you installed the trans or was it installed by the builder and i would assume that a rebuilt or new converter was installed so as not to void the warrenty. if this was a majer builder and installer the should have the ability to to program the tcm to make there trans work properly.they should make it right for that kind of money Bubbabud 2011 XLT SCAB ECOboost

Quick Reply: Trans or torque converter?