Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tranny computer program updated. Works well.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM
PURAVIDA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny computer program updated. Works well.

I got my transmission serviced today from the dealer. They say they didn't flush it because it eventually screws stuff up but they did everything else. I also asked them to look into an upshift clunk I was having. They updated some shift program computer and HOLY COW my truck runs awesome. The clunk is all gone and it seems to have more power throughout the gears. The rpms go just a little higher before shifting to the next gear. Only thing is, now there is a hesitation just before upshift from 2 to 1. I don't mind so far. Also, before the reprogram, I was a little bummed with the initial power of the 5.4. But this seemed to wake my truck up just a little. Has anyone else experienced this? I know some people have had their tranny computer updated and been displeased so I was skeptical but I'm glad I did it.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm puzzled as to why the dealer told you they don't flush "because it eventually screws stuff up"......
Does your truck have high mileage? The number one reason for automatic transmission failure is heat, which also breaks down the lubricating properties of oil. No one should expect transmission fluid to work well past 75K (less if you tow).

My guess is that this dealer does not have the proper flushing equipment. That's not a good excuse though to tell you not to flush your fluid though.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got a 04 and it was a slug compared to an 06 I test drove. I got the comp flashed and it was such an improvement.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM
PURAVIDA

Bucko - This was the 60k service on my tranny, but I just rolled 61k.

I have spent many hours searching the tranny flush topic. I don't know what to do anymore, all I know is that I needed the tranny serviced. The price to "Flush" the tranny is double what it cost to do the service. The exact term they used was "weakens seals" and they recommended that I DON'T do it and that my tranny would last longer without it. I would like to get a real flush on it because I understand that the service leaves a bunch of old oil in the working parts but I'm left confused.

When I asked them to look into the tranny clunk while doing the service they said it looks great. Not mechanical problems. No burnt oil. Hence the computer flash.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

...if you dont mind me asking... how much was the tranny flash... or was it under some type of warrenty... my dealer always said my tranny is ok... from brand new... they looked at it a few times... but would never reflash it...(dont ask me why) but they said i had the latest version... witch i know i dont... everyone i have talked to had the same shift problems i have ... and there dealers reflashed.... so im going to just go to a diff dealer and have them do it ... even if i have to pay for it... ARGG i hate dealers
Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 AM
PURAVIDA

Bobkyle - The flash was 70. I like my local dealer but it took years to get there. My truck is an '05. Where yours is newer maybe you already have the update? I've seen some on here say they paid 130 and it doesn't work, so, I was hesitant to get it done but I'm glad I did it. I think it has something to do with TSB 05-10-12.

BTW - I really like your truck.

Last edited by rockymtnrider; 09-10-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

ya... 70...i would pay in a heart beat... after boating season is completly over with im going to have my trans serviced and everything looked at ... and going to add a tranny cooler and fan to mine...

Thanks for the compliment ... ive did alot of mods to my truck... but now i work alot out of it ... and it gets banged around here and there... its got dents and scratches all over it now.. but oh well.. thats why i got an XL... no carpet and power windows ... just tilt cruise air ... and added what ever i wanted
Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM
WHO DEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had my 06 5.4 screw flashed because of a 4-3 downshift hesitation. Wish I never had it done. Tranny used to be strong but now seems a little sluggish since the tsb. I asked them if they can reverse it and they said no. Anyways, I would have taken a hesitation on downshift than take what is almost like a slippage on some upshifts the way my tranny is now since the flash. Low speed down shift, like rolling up on a stop sign, i can hear and feel some kind of clunk now when it shifts down. Funny how the service guys tells me there is something wrong but Ford wont let them do anything since its under warrenty (certified). Ford says hesitation is "normal" for this year on downshifts. OK well why did you try a flash to correct a normal characteristic. All this flash did was screw up my tranny imo.You live and learn i guess . Anybody know if a tuner would help me?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this "flash" similar to what you get when you install a programmer?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 PM
PURAVIDA

Bobkyle - Mines an XL too. A/C, Cruise, CD player, that's all I need. But I opted for the 5.4, it's been bittersweet. I love the rubber floors. I lucked out and found this one with fog lights too.

Big blue - That low speed downshift sounds like what mine used to do before the flash as well as the slippage. That's weird.

stmar - I've been wondering the same thing. I asked the people at the service deptartment about programmers and they had nothing good to say(of course. It's the dealer). They told me that programmers are the reason they stay in business because they always fix the problems they cause. I still want one though.

Quick Reply: Tranny computer program updated. Works well.