Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trailer brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Trailer brake controller

I have a brake controller installed in my truck. It's aftermarket, not sure of the brand. I installed it in the truck. We've had a couple laying around that we're wired and plug and play for the ford harness. When I have it on and am using it, when I hit the brakes in the truck, it puts full power to the trailer right away. Doesn't matter what the gain is set at. It will go and put whatever the gain is set to, straight to the trailer brakes. Even if you barely touch the brakes. Now my mothers 2006 f350 power stroke has a factory controller, when stopping the controller only puts power to the trailer as needed. The harder you press the pedal, the more power goes into the trailer to stop. I'm wondering if this is something with the controller? And that it's just a cheap controller? Or if it's just how the f150 is vs the f350. I'm considering replacing it with a good aftermarket controller. I just hate the jerking it does right now.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

There are four basic styles of brake controllers. The first style is a timing activated brake controller. This control works with your brake switch to activate the trailer brakes at a predetermined amperage output. It can be mounted from anywhere and generally will be used for a short hauls, or a low weight capacity trailer. Some versions come with digital display and direct plug in capabilities. The second style of brake controller is inertia activated. These brake controls function the same as the timing activated with the exception of a pendulum sensor. With this style of brake controller the pendulum senses the inertia of the vehicle deceleration and proportionally stops the vehicle at the same rate. These brake controls have to be mounted to a certain degree and perform the best in areas without many inclines and declines. Some models come with digital displays and direct plug in. The third style is proportional activated. Completely redesigned from any previous brake controls, the proportional units are fitted with accelerometers that measure the g-force of the vehicle stopping. With swift reaction times and the smoothest capable stopping, these brake controls can handle any trailer in any situation. These brake controllers can come equipped with digital displays, diagnostics, direct plug in, and self adjustment. The forth and newest style is the hydraulic over electric controls. Mini computers that convert hydraulic and brake pedal pressure into electrical current. These controls will be equipped to handle any condition. sounds like yours is not working correctly..the gain should not lock up the trailer brakes when adjusted correctly.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:19 AM

If I hit the pedal just slightly, enough for it to trigger the brake switch but not the brakes, the controller comes on and it goes from 0-6.5 in about 1/2 second. Now the f350 if you give it light brake it will only give say 2.0 gain instead of the 7 or so that it's set at. The trailer is a 22x8.5 flat bed car trailer with dual axles. My controller has a digital display on it. I am considering upgrading to this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/361541410505. I haul jeep, and atvs on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer brake controller-photo626.jpg  
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Mark

The F350 has a different type of controller. adjust your gain down from 6.5 if you can adjust it. with the car hauler empty .. it will lock up the brakes
Old 11-17-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
The F350 has a different type of controller. adjust your gain down from 6.5 if you can adjust it. with the car hauler empty .. it will lock up the brakes
I adjusted it all around. It just grabs hard. And jerks. Thinking of replacing the controller
Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Mark

Agree
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Agree
Do you have an experience with the controller I linked?

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Mark

I have never used it but, I hear great reviews on it.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 PM

I have never used it but, I hear great reviews on it.
I'm going to look into it more. I wish my truck was newer and had a factory one
Old 11-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Mark

Originally Posted by casey.mikl
I'm going to look into it more. I wish my truck was newer and had a factory one
I hear you.. I have only used mine a few times, so I just un-plug it and keep it in the garage.