Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

TPMS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Default TPMS Sensor

Took my boys hunting a couple of weeks ago went down a pretty bad washboarded road. On the way home had a really bad unbalanced vibration in the front end. Figured I had just lost a weight and it was in need of a rotation so I took it in to Discount Tire and had them balance and rotate the tires. Now the unbalance has moved to the rear (although not as bad) and I have a Tire Pressure Sensor Fault. Question is has anyone ever had one of these break loose and cause an imbalance? And Discount Tire wants 60 for the part and replace and I can get all four OEM parts off line for 60. Has anyone ever taken the parts in and had them replace them? Thanks Fellas.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 138 Likes on 116 Posts

I had Discount replace mine, but with aftermarket stem sensors and not the OEM band type. Considering the limited battery life of the sensors, upgrading may be a good option.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mulestang
I had Discount replace mine, but with aftermarket stem sensors and not the OEM band type. Considering the limited battery life of the sensors, upgrading may be a good option.
All four? If so what did it cost you if you dont mind me asking. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by HeathMc
All four? If so what did it cost you if you dont mind me asking. Thanks for the reply.
$24.95 per sensor. They were VDO Redi-Sensors.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Took my boys hunting a couple of weeks ago went down a pretty bad washboarded road. On the way home had a really bad unbalanced vibration in the front end. Figured I had just lost a weight and it was in need of a rotation so I took it in to Discount Tire and had them balance and rotate the tires. Now the unbalance has moved to the rear (although not as bad) and I have a Tire Pressure Sensor Fault. Question is has anyone ever had one of these break loose and cause an imbalance? And Discount Tire wants 60 for the part and replace and I can get all four OEM parts off line for 60. Has anyone ever taken the parts in and had them replace them? Thanks Fellas.
i used to work at discount tire and the band sensors were a pain. Most people usually opted to replace with the valve style sensors. They’re easy to replace and don’t have as many issues. It could be that a tire is out of round or going bad and that the sensor just needs to be reset to get rid of the tire pressure sensor fault. On the other hand, the plastic retaining clips become very brittle and could’ve broken releasing the sensor so now it’s tumbling around in the tire. If you jack the rear up and spin the tire you can feel the sensor tumbling around.

Last edited by redraiderford; 10-30-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by redraiderford

i used to work at discount tire and the band sensors were a pain. Most people usually opted to replace with the valve style sensors. They’re easy to replace and don’t have as many issues. It could be that a tire is out of round or going bad and that the sensor just needs to be reset to get rid of the tire pressure sensor fault.
Do they have the capability of testing the tire for out of round? The tires have about 5k miles on them, Cooper AT3's. Truck was smooth as could be before driving on that washboarded road so not sure that would have destroyed the tire?

And the 24.95 a sensor was that installed and purchased from them? I'd rather do that than pay 60 for one.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 AM

Do they have the capability of testing the tire for out of round? The tires have about 5k miles on them, Cooper AT3's. Truck was smooth as could be before driving on that washboarded road so not sure that would have destroyed the tire?

And the 24.95 a sensor was that installed and purchased from them? I'd rather do that than pay 60 for one.
Not sure about testing for out of round, but they can road force test.
For me, the $24.95 included installation when I purchased new tires.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:28 AM

They can road force them which will line the tire and wheel up to take as little weight as possible. I have 20x10s with 35s and I get them road forced. They ride amazing for off-road tires.

An out of round tire is visible to the naked eye on the balancer. The tire will have a noticeable hop while spinning. The bfg ko2 was really bad about this from the factory and we often had to send tires back. If I were you I would go to Discount Tire and have them check for a loose sensor or out of round tire. Another possibility is a bent wheel
Old 10-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you fit Redi sensors how do you reset the truck or does it do it on its own as i am in the uk and dont have access to any programming tools
Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Cameron
If you fit Redi sensors how do you reset the truck or does it do it on its own as i am in the uk and dont have access to any programming tools
The only way is to find a shop with a scan tool as far as i know.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor