Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Torquing crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torquing crank pulley

Ok so I've got my bolt torqued to 37 lb foot but I can't get past 45 degrees out of the 60 makuloco says. This bolt is VERY tight at 45 degrees. Honestly I'm afraid to tighten it more. 18" breaker bar with all the force I can put on it and it's at 45 degrees. Is 60 degrees really THAT tight?

I guess I just need someone to reassure me I'm not going too tight if I grab a cheater pipe and put it over the breaker bar. I got to thinking, what if it broke off in the crank.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:05 PM

Received 815 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by silver007
Ok so I've got my bolt torqued to 37 lb foot but I can't get past 45 degrees out of the 60 makuloco says. This bolt is VERY tight at 45 degrees. Honestly I'm afraid to tighten it more. 18" breaker bar with all the force I can put on it and it's at 45 degrees. Is 60 degrees really THAT tight?

I guess I just need someone to reassure me I'm not going too tight if I grab a cheater pipe and put it over the breaker bar. I got to thinking, what if it broke off in the crank.
I guess its a TTY bolt so to confirm, you are putting a new one in, not reusing the old one?

The amount of angle is to ensure sufficient preload to ensure that bolt never comes loose on its own.
I think lots of times they overkill the spec on those, I'm sure they had a formula they used, but this is a case where its your truck you are free to use your judgement if you are competent of your wrenching...

In my opinion 45 degrees is probably tight enough.. flame suit on.. due to stiction once you have stopped it takes a good amount of torque to get that last 15degrees stacked on top of the 45 you already did.

Quick Reply: Torquing crank pulley